Talk

Advanced search

Confused about car seat regulations? We've spent hours researching and testing the best car seats on the market. Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

joie stages

(7 Posts)
polkadotdelight Sat 04-Nov-17 10:10:24

DS is rear facing in an axkid minikid in our car and a maxicosi axissfix in grandparents car. We initially bought the axissfix for our car mistakenly thinking it would rear face until 4. At age 3 he has outgrown it and I need to buy something else for their car. It is going to need to be forward facing due to space issues in that car, I'd like a 5 point harness for as long as possible and a good weight limit. The joie stages looks like a good option as it converts to a high backed booster later on but are there any others that I should be considering? I'm a bit bamboozled now!

Misty9 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:15:31

What about the britax two way elite? I think it’s pretty space saving in erf mode and can be ff too. We’ve got the recaro young sport which is a hbb but was harnessed first. It has great side protection and I’d recommend it.

Orangebird69 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:19:07

The Joie Every Stage is fab. It lasts until they no longer need any kind of car seat (12yo/145cm ish)

polkadotdelight Sat 04-Nov-17 11:20:16

Thanks both. I've reweighed him and he is 16kg not 18 but is still getting close to that 18kg cut off for 5 point harnesses. I looked at the Britax which has an 18kg harness limit but the Joie is misleading - their video shows a 5-6 year old in a 5 point but the write up implies otherwise. I've asked on their facebook page. He is quite tall etc for his age.

Misty9 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:30:32

Yes, once they’re 18kg they are safer in a seat belted hbb than a 5 point harness apparently. We had ds in the harness until he was 4.5yo but he’s a skinny thing. Tbh it was more about when I could trust him not to muck about with a seatbelt that decided it for me! With his height and weight as you describe, I’d go for a hbb with harness option

Babytalkobsession Sat 04-Nov-17 11:47:39

If you want forward facing with harness past 18kg there's the Joie Bold or Cosy n Safe Excalibur.

Both harness to 25kg but require a top tether to anchor the seat.

They can go into a hbb at 18kg but if they're younger than 4 years old is worry about sitting correctly - an adult seat belt only works if they sit nicely.

If you do go hbb have a look at Britax kid fix ii - the one with the crotch bit. This helps hold the seat belt correctly

Joel89 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:38:56

Joie Stages is fantastic. It was perfect for our little one - definitely would recommend

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: