Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with 3.5 year old?

(7 Posts)
naomi83mother Tue 06-Jun-17 07:05:30

I'm confused which stage car seat is correct for my little girl. I have an all stage car seat. My daughter is 4 in October, very tall for her age and weighs well over 2 stone. She currently in stage 1 (5 point harness), but wondered if I can change her to stage 2 where it's just a normal one point seatbelt over the car seat? Ive been on two website I go on and the weight and height for the stages overlap so it's confusing. What stage is your child in?

OP’s posts: |
Ecureuil Tue 06-Jun-17 07:07:53

Mine is 3.5 and she's in a stage 1, 5 point harness. She's still within the weight limit so don't see any point in changing just yet.

RatOnnaStick Tue 06-Jun-17 07:14:05

Stage 1 car seats go up to 18kg normally.
Although Stage 2 car seats are from 15kg
I wouldn't change her over until she reaches 18kg and is the right weight for just a seat belt.

AStickInTime Tue 06-Jun-17 07:16:53

I heard from Halfords that you can't use seatbelt until they're over 15 kg because the child isn't heavy enough to lock the seatbelt on impact, and it's as good as having no seatbelt at all.

My just turned 4 year old only weighs 14.4kg so is still in 5 point harness.

MissRainbowBrite Tue 06-Jun-17 07:25:23

I would keep her in the 5 point harness until she is at the 18kg limit. It's far safer. As someone else said they need that weight to activate the lock on an adult belt.
DD moved from a stage 1 seat to a HBB at 4.3years.

Ecureuil Tue 06-Jun-17 07:27:32

My 3.5 year old is approx 12.5kg so while to do. I'm happier with her in the 5 point harness anyway.

MelinaMercury Tue 06-Jun-17 15:09:06

Stage 1 with the 5 point harness is the safest option until she is over 18kg or her eyes are level with the top of the seat, whichever comes first. Another thing to look out for is the harness fitting, in forward facing the straps MUST sit above her shoulders. This was one of the reasons we had to move DD at 4 years at 17.5kg.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in