Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which high back booster seat?

(10 Posts)
IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Tue 21-Feb-17 12:47:47

DS is almost 4 and is outgrowing his 5 point harness car seat.
I've been looking at the high back booster seats and am confused about the variation of prices.

Is there anything you need to really consider when buying these. DH wants to buy the Jolie Trillo eco seat, which is £25 at Halfords purely for cost reasons. I don't understand why this is so cheap in comparison to others which Can go up to £170! Are we just paying for the brand?

Do you have any recommendations?

We will need to buy two got each of our cars, so price is a factor.

Thanks!

treaclesoda Tue 21-Feb-17 12:50:14

I was actuallly on the Which website about an hour ago browsing high back booster seats. What I noticed was that the cheap ones generally got poor results in their safety test, but that didn't mean that the expensive ones were necessarily any better, if you know what I mean. Some of the ones they were very critical of were actually expensive ones.

The Maxi Cosi Rodi seemed to do quite well in their tests and whilst it's not super cheap, it's not £170 either.

outnumbered38 Tue 21-Feb-17 12:51:22

We have the Joie trillo but not the eco version. It's a great seat. Think maybe the eco version has slightly less side impact protection?

Cakescakescakes Tue 21-Feb-17 12:52:47

We have Maxi cosi Rodifix - wanted isofix for extra safety and the Rodi shape is great. Comfy and not too bulky. Will buy another for DS2 when needed.

AliceMum09 Tue 28-Feb-17 21:57:40

The ISOFIX on a high backed booster offers no safety advantage for a child. It just means that you don't have to fasten the seatbelt over the empty booster if you are driving without your child in the car.

The high backed booster positions the child correctly so that the seatbelt fits them properly, and in a crash the seatbelt restrains the child. I have one ISOFIX high backed booster and two non-ISOFIX, I don't have a preference as to which ones my children sit in.

Millybingbong Wed 22-Mar-17 14:30:39

I need advice on this too. I have seen a britax with extra side impact and belt positioning at chest and between legs. Anyone know if this is worth buying?

MelinaMercury Fri 24-Mar-17 07:21:58

Milly we looked at that seat (Kidfix XP II?) and weren't keen on the shoulder strap positioner as DD says it was uncomfortable and rubbed her neck regardless of the height adjustment the waist belt positioner looked a bit better but didn't really serve a purpose.

A lot of people seem to have the same issue as when i looked at reviews most mentioned that they tucked the positioned out of the way and used it as a standard booster.
We much preferred the original Kidfix which still has side impact protection but not the positioner, in the end though we didn't like the soft latch isofix design so went for a different seat altogether.

AppleAndBlackberry Fri 24-Mar-17 07:32:56

I joined Which with a 30 day trial when my children got to this stage to look at the safety ratings. The cheapest £25 seats don't actually offer much more protection than a regular booster seat. We ended up with Recaro Monza Novas which scored well and I think were around £100.

Millybingbong Fri 24-Mar-17 08:01:50

That is really helpful Melina what did you go for in the end?

MelinaMercury Fri 24-Mar-17 22:14:59

We went for the Cybex M-Fix in the end.

DD (4yo) said it was comfier, it certainly feels plusher and has more width. Also like the reclining headrest to stop her head flopping when she does off.

More importantly though it fits the car well and holds the belts in good position for her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now