This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which car seat for 4 year old

(8 Posts)
Ploppymoodypants Sat 23-Jul-16 22:45:56

Looking for a car seat for 4 year old child. We have isofix in one car but not in other so ideally needs to work in both. Safety rating a priority. Any recommendations ? Thank you

youneeQuorn Sat 23-Jul-16 22:54:42

How heavy are they? If over 18kg they can't go in a 5 point harness anymore. If a long way off I would be tempted to still use one but it's unlikely aged 4

From 15kg something like this is suitable http://www.kiddicare.com/p/BritaxAdventuree_Group22_3Carr_Seatinn_Black_Thunder.htm

NapQueen Sat 23-Jul-16 22:55:49

There are harnessed seats which go up to 25kg. We have the Britax two way elite which does. It rear faces too.

You will not be able to use Isofix past 18kg though.

EskSmith Sat 23-Jul-16 23:09:47

hmm I have Dd1 9 & Dd2 7 in high-backed boosters napqueen. Isofix is great for boosters as you don't have the hassle of remembering to strap them in when your children aren't travelling. We have a Jane, montecarlo I think and a Britax-not sure on model. Really happy with both. Jane is 5 years old and still in daily use by a tall 145cm 9 year old and like new. Britax-not is easier to move from car to car. TBH as my seats are 5&3 years old things have probably changed but you can definitely get isofix seats!!

NapQueen Sat 23-Jul-16 23:13:18

Sorry I meant Isofix harnessed seats.

NapQueen Sat 23-Jul-16 23:13:35

I realise now I wasn't clear when I said it.

EskSmith Sat 23-Jul-16 23:18:36

Makes sense Napqueen ;) I am evangelical about unsecured booster seats in cars, people don't realise what a missile an unsecured seat could be in an accident.

Kellsy Tue 26-Jul-16 13:31:58

I still think that 4 years olds are too young for a booster seat. And I'm serious about that. It's not just about the weight, switching to the booster seat depends on the child's maturity. Ideally, there should be a transition period. So that they could use the seat as a booster when it's fine to do that or use the harness when they misbehave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now