Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Slim Booster Seat

(13 Posts)
iamdivergent Fri 15-Jul-16 20:56:47

Looking for a slim booster seat. Currently using the bottom part of what once was a high back booster from Argos which seems fairly bulky.

Any recommendations for a slim one? It's for a very tall almost 9yr old and there needs to be space for a child not in a booster seat (12) and a group 0 baby seat too hence the need for a slim one.

TYIA

Bamaluz Sat 30-Jul-16 13:34:26

The Britax Adventure is slim, and I think Halfords do a narrow seat too.

m0therofdragons Sat 30-Jul-16 14:04:00

The trunki travel one is slim and dd loves hers. We can actually get 3 across a normal car (2 high backs and one trunki booster). We got the hello kitty one as it was half price.

AliceMum09 Sat 30-Jul-16 17:48:08

Oooh, I didn't know there was a Hello Kitty Boostapak! My 7 1/2 year old would love that for holidays. But sadly we already have a boring green one, and I can only see the Hello Kitty one full price just now.

I terms of narrow boosters yes, the Britax adventure is one of the narrower ones. The Britax Discovery is the same seat but a bit more padded as far as I can tell and also comes in an ISOFIX version (the SL one, SL stands for Soft Latch. This means that the ISOFIX clips are on a length of strap, they are not rigid.)

I've also just bought a Britax KidFix SL, it's quite wide at the child's shoulders but at the bottom where the child's bum sits it's not wide (about the same as the Adventure, I have one of those too). I have mine in the car right next to a Britax Multi Tech II rear facing seat and there is plenty of room to get to the seatbelt buckles.

m0therofdragons Sat 30-Jul-16 23:05:11

Hello kitty one was from Argos grin

RedKites Sat 30-Jul-16 23:10:37

The narrowest I could find was the Bubblebum . (It's cheaper elsewhere, but that was the first link I could find with the dimensions.)

AppleMagic Sat 30-Jul-16 23:11:49

The bubblebum is meant to be the narrowest on the market but I don't know how well it's regarded safety wise.

AppleMagic Sat 30-Jul-16 23:12:06

Xpost grin

BikeRunSki Sat 30-Jul-16 23:13:53

If your 9 year old is very tall, don't get actually still need a car seat? DS is v tall 7 year old and 134 cm, only 1 cm off no longer needing a booster seat.

AliceMum09 Sun 31-Jul-16 08:13:07

BikeRunSki don't assume that you can automatically ditch the booster as soon as your daughter hits 135cm.

Yes, by Law you can, but most children can't safely sit in the car without a booster until they are about 150cm tall. Most high backed boosters are designed for this height, and in a lot of European countries the limit is 150cm, not 135cm like here. My son is 147cm tall and it's only within the past month I've felt he's OK to finally go without a seat. He's 10 1/2. He's been using a backless booster for th past year, I do think they should be banned for younger children but for over 8's they are very useful when the seat of a high backed booster might not be deep enough for their legs (my son seems to have very long thigh bones!) but they still need a lift to get the lap part of the seatbelt positioned properly.

This link explains the 5-step test that determines when a child can safely sit without a booster thecarseatlady.wordpress.com/boosters/5steptest/

BikeRunSki Sun 31-Jul-16 18:20:35

Thank you for that Alice (lol, your screen name is my real name).

AliceMum09 Sun 31-Jul-16 20:51:39

You're welcome! Alice is my daughter's name actually smile

Tiggywunkle Mon 08-Aug-16 12:17:12

Look up Mifold - these have just arrived in the UK and are considerably slimmer than a Boostapak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now