This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

is there a 0-4 years car seat that can go on a pram?

(19 Posts)
yorkshireteaa Mon 30-May-16 08:45:24

Hi all,

I am buying the icandy strawberry 2 and I am starting to think about a car seat.

I would like a car seat that can clip on to the icandy for when baby is small.

I have isofix in my car and will buy an isofix base.

I was going to buy the maxi cosi pebble car seat however this is only suitable up to 1 years of age.

I'd like to buy a car seat that has more years worth of use out of it, but that can also be attached to the icandy when baby is little.

Does such a car seat exist? If you know of any please let me know!

Thanks xxx

imsorryiasked Mon 30-May-16 08:53:03

Don't think so. Car seats are rear facing for babies and tend to be forward facing for older children.

CurlsLDN Mon 30-May-16 08:56:48

I doubt it, stage 1 and up car seats are massive!

eurochick Mon 30-May-16 08:57:35

Erf seats are rear facing up to 4. I don't know of any that can go on a pram though.

AThousandTears Mon 30-May-16 08:57:37

Why would you need this?

thecakeisalie Mon 30-May-16 09:01:24

Surely it would be way too bulky to have anything other than infant carrier on a pram. Anyway it's not good for a young baby to be in a car seat for too long so probably best to use a pram seat that lies flat. If you want a 0-4 car seat then just skip the infant carrier and use the pram seat.

yorkshireteaa Mon 30-May-16 11:21:58

*Why would you need this?
To try and save a bit of money. Car seats are expensive and I wondered if there was one that was an all rounder up to age 4.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

AliceMum09 Mon 30-May-16 16:16:43

If you're worried about the cost of a car seat then instead if buying an infant carrier and an expensive ISOFIX base to put it on you could look at the Joue Every Stage seat. It's £200 and covers birth to the point at which your child no longer needs a car seat.

AliceMum09 Mon 30-May-16 16:17:39

That's Joie above, not Joue. Sorry!

Nightfall1983 Mon 30-May-16 19:49:11

Two thoughts OP:

1) The maxi-Cosi family fix base can (I think) be used for both the pebble and then later the 2way pearl, so you can keep using the base. I don't know whether this convo is particularly economical though, do check.

2) despite what the rest of the world uk seems to think, it is not necessary to have a car seat that clips onto your pram. I never had one and never missed it. Babies aren't supposed to spend too long in their car seats anyway. The most economical purchase (of a good quality ERF) seat might be to have one that stays in the car and is birth-to-4 years. Suggest you look at the Klippan Kiss which though ugly might tick some boxes...

AliceMum09 Mon 30-May-16 20:17:46

I've never had Maxi Cosi seats, but I think if you want the 2way Pearl Group 1 seat you need to 2way base. I'm pretty sure the family fix base only takes the forward facing Pearl.

And I totally agree, I seem to have managed fine with my 3 babies not having an infant carrier! I used a Britax First Class seat from birth for all of mine.

yorkshireteaa Tue 31-May-16 07:01:55

Thanks all! Good to know that a carrier car seat is not a necessity. I'm a first time mum and didn't know whether it'd be a good idea to skip having one altogether.

I have been looking at the joie every stage seat which seems v good value and had good reviews.

Xx

TheDisreputableDog Tue 31-May-16 07:26:54

I would say it depends how much you will use the car... It is very convenient when they are small to be able to take the seat in and out.
The maxi-Cosi 2 way family fix base fits both the Pebble and 2-way Pearl. Not cheap though...

lastnightiwenttomanderley Tue 31-May-16 08:08:04

OP - we have a 2 way fix base which also takes the cabriofix, which is marginally lighter than the pebble (maxi cosi market the pebble as the seat for this base but also confirm on their website thst it can take both). Yes, you only use the infant seat for a year or so but I found it so easy if I had to nip to the shops for something, especially as DS would fall asleep as soon as we got in the car. Just lifting the seat onto the pram was a million times easier than waking a sleeping baby putting him in the pram, walking round the shop for ten minutes and then repeating in reverse.

They shouldn't stay in them for long periods of time for sure but for me it was one less hassle when running short errands.

yorkshireteaa Tue 31-May-16 20:02:21

Thanks so much for all the replies, it's great to hear both sides of opinions vs carrier / no carrier

Alicemum - is the britax seat fitted using the seat belts? Ie no isofix base?

I've seen this in the mothercare sale which seems to be the one u recommend? The price is really good so I am tempted!

http://www.mothercare.com/Britax-Romer-First-Class-Plus-Combination-Car-Seat---Cosmos-Black/897236,default,pd.html&q=Britax%20first%20class&loadMoreCurrentStatus=1&returnCgid=&returnSrule=null&start=&returnScrollPos=0

AliceMum09 Tue 31-May-16 23:16:51

Yes, that's the one I had. You just fix it in the car with the seatbelt. The only possible downside of it is that the diagonal part of the seatbelt goes right round the back of the seat, therefore (depending on your car) it can sometimes be in the way of getting the baby into the car. It wasn't ever a problem for me, I just tucked it out of the way and then pulled it back up once the baby was in the seat.

I actually used this seat rear facing for my youngest child until she was 3 1/3. She is quite petite, so she didn't get to the 13kgs weight limit for rear facing until she was that age. I found the easiest way to get her in the car, even when she was older, was to cradle her like you would a baby and put her into the car head first and then get her legs in.

There is an overlap with the weight groupings for this seat, it's rear facing 0-13kgs and forward facing 9-18kgs. For the overlap period of 9-13kgs where the seat could be used in either direction it's much safer to keep the seat rear facing.

AppleMagic Tue 31-May-16 23:25:03

I also had the Britax first class plus. Overall I think it was very good value but because my DC are on the tall side I found that they outgrew both rear and forward facing positions (based on the straps being at the correct height on highest setting) before they hit the suggested max ages and weights.

I also had the maxi cosi pearl with dc1 and I found being able to clip the car seat on the pushchair frame really useful at the time. But it wouldn't fit on our double push chair when I had dc2 and surprisingly didn't miss it. So I expect if you never had the option you would just get used to making the transfer between car seat and pram/pushchair.

yorkshireteaa Wed 01-Jun-16 06:44:53

Great! Thanks Alice and Apple!

I'm going to measure my car this morning to make sure it'll fit and then I'm going to buy!

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

goinggrey1978 Wed 01-Jun-16 07:59:29

This is an interesting post, I'm a first time mum too and know nothing much about car seats, only that you really should buy new ones and never 2nd hand ones, my car is fairly new and has those iso things on the seats, so was thinking to get a car seat to attach to the car seat iso things,so all advice welcome, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now