Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How to keep 25kg + children upright when asleep in car

(16 Posts)
screamingeels Sat 20-Feb-16 19:12:03

I have 2 DC, one 8 yo in a high back booster, one nearly 6 who has just outgrown 5 pt harness. We are planning some long motorway drives over next few months when hopefully DC will sleep for much of.

However I know from experience DD tends to loll forward when asleep, at which point she isn't properly restrained by seatbelt. And having known someone who suffered horrific injuries when they had a car accident and were not wearing belt properly, this worries me a lot.

Anyone know any good way of keeping them upright? I had wondered about the Belt Upp safety strap but I have found mumsnet thread saying crash tests imply poss compression injury at higher speed impacts. And I can't imagine neck pillows stop the lolling forward.

Any help gratefully received.

SquidgeyMidgey Sat 20-Feb-16 19:15:38

DS always did this and we never found a solution, hopefully someone else has! We just used to periodically look round and push his head back up.

screamingeels Sun 21-Feb-16 17:30:03

Yes - familiar with that! Bumping in case Sunday night crowd have any good ideas.

captaincake Sun 21-Feb-16 19:49:28

BeltUpp?

captaincake Sun 21-Feb-16 19:51:26

or netmums suggests tieing a scarf around their head/back of car seat headrest...

AliceMum09 Sun 21-Feb-16 20:58:43

What high backed boosters do you have? We have a Britax Adventure and a Britax KidFix and my children have always slept well in them without slouching over. They just rest their head to the side on the headrests, which are nice and deep.

I can make the Adventure slightly reclined by reclining my car's seat and then the Adventure leans back to match that recline. But the KidFix has a recline function that would work with any car (mine is a Peugeot 5008, the middle row of seats all slide back and forth and can recline).

CorBlimeyTrousers Sun 21-Feb-16 21:07:21

We have a Cybex Solution M-Fix and our 5 year old's head rests on the side rather than slumping forward when he sleeps (rarely these days but still sometimes if he's tired). But I don't know if that's just him or the car seat!

screamingeels Sun 21-Feb-16 22:13:44

DD is in a high back Graco and DS is in a Britax Evolva - just took the harness out today. Both are pretty deep. But AliceMum's post has made me realise I haven't even checked whether they are in recline position or if I could do more with car seats. I will definitely do that!

screamingeels Sun 21-Feb-16 22:27:48

Hmm.. though have just done some googling and Graco may have some form for being unsupportive.hmm ...which is particularly irritating as it wasn't the one I'd ordered on click and collect when I first got it 4 yrs ago. There was a mix up and shop convinced me it was better for my needs.

JellyTipisthebest Mon 22-Feb-16 05:42:01

I have britax adventure and a britax kidfix never had that problem adventures are only about £40 the britax one you have may be ok

Imnotreadyforthis Fri 26-Feb-16 10:05:38

I'm having the same problem with muy 4 year old, who has just moved to a HBB. We have the Britax adventure but his head still fall forward, possibly because of the my car seats' shape.

I was thinking about a cushion that attaches to the seat belt but not sure about safety, like this: www.amazon.com/Diono-Seat-Belt-Pillow-Grey/dp/B005PK1CPM does anyone know if they're safe to use?

AliceMum09 Fri 26-Feb-16 16:53:07

screamingeels you can definitely use the Evolva in recline mode when it's a high backed booster and in fact you HAVE to use it reclined once the child passes a certain weight (it could be 25kgs, but don't quote me on that, it will be in the manual - which is online if you don't have your paper copy).

I would replace the Graco one if at all possible, they don't provide any protection in the event of a side impact crash. In tests the results were exactly the same whether the removable back was attached or not!

BertieBotts Sat 27-Feb-16 16:45:30

We used to have an Adventure and DS would rest his head on the side if he fell asleep. I understand this is not great for side protection, however it's better as it keeps the seatbelt in place.

If you look at a picture of the Adventure you'll see that the head protection wings are slanted like a V shape. I'd look for this shape in the head wings of your chosen seat.

Meeep Sat 27-Feb-16 16:50:06

I would love to read about a solution to this problem.

MissWimpyDimple Sun 06-Mar-16 21:32:44

The Maxi cosi rodi has a recline, not a big one but it's enough to stop them lolling forward.

Evolva also has small recline and is generally very supportive.

Graco HBB is awful. Bolt upright and flimsy. I'd replace with a decent one with a recline option. If you have isofix it's easier to find one

SweetAdeline Sun 06-Mar-16 21:37:01

When we bought our dd's high back booster we were worried about this. The fitter at kiddicare said to get one with a headrest that tapered in at the neck like a V. We bought a Britax Kidfix SL and dd has fallen asleep in it without falling forward. I think all the Britax ones have headrests like this but the Graco headrests tilt the other way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now