Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Dd too tall for car seat?

(9 Posts)
SnozzberryMincePie Thu 10-Dec-15 14:32:54

I have a Britax two way elite car seat and my three year oldest legs are quite squished against the back seat. This doesn't seem to bother her but Dp thinks this means she is too tall for it and we should turn it around so she is forward facing. I'm not sure as she is happy rear facing and it is supposed to be safer, so I'd rather keep her rear facing as long as possible. Wwyd?

SnozzberryMincePie Thu 10-Dec-15 14:34:19

That should be three year old's I hate autocorrect sometimes!

SpendSpendSpend Thu 10-Dec-15 14:37:02

A child is only too tall for a car seat if the top of their ears is level with the top of the car seat. It has nothing to do with the legs regarding a car seat being too small.

If your child is comfortable with their legs when rear facing then i would just continue as you are. If she is uncomfortable rear facing due to leg room and shes over 15 months old and/or over 9kg then i would turn her round.

SnozzberryMincePie Thu 10-Dec-15 14:54:43

Well she's big enough to forward face but she doesn't seem bothered by her legs being scrunched up so I'd rather keep her rear facing, but I think dp wants her to forward face. All the other kids we know her age forward face and I think he thinks rear facing her is another one of my 'mad ideas'.

SpendSpendSpend Thu 10-Dec-15 15:23:36

I think rear facing at her age in the UK is quite rare tbh. I know in Switzerland its the law to be rear facing until 4 years old.

If shes happy being rear facing then i would leave her.

poocatcherchampion Thu 10-Dec-15 15:27:11

Keep her rear facing! It is so much safer. Our 3.5yo is very comfortable in her twe - I'm planning on keeping her in there until she is 5ish when the younger ones will need to move up a seat.

LillyBugg Thu 10-Dec-15 15:28:08

Get him to actually research the difference between forward and rear facing. Or present him with some statistics. Just saying she looks squashed is ridiculous without knowing the facts. She is so much safer rearward facing. Please get him the facts OP.

f1fan2015 Thu 10-Dec-15 15:48:58

Spendspendspend not quite sure where you got that idea about Switzerland from - you are incorrect. Perhaps you are mistaking it with Sweden, there is an urban myth about there being a law there for rear facing seats till 4 years but there is no such law.

Rear facing is safer and children are allowed to have scrunched legs.

SnozzberryMincePie Thu 10-Dec-15 15:59:13

Thanks all, I will tell dp that I am right and he is wrong smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now