Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Does a child seat for a rear-facing back seat exist?

(8 Posts)
JDad2015 Wed 28-Oct-15 19:06:43

We have a Ford Freda/Mazda Bongo campervan - the conversion we have has a rear-facing back seat bench. We went to some lengths to get proper seat belts installed in the back (replacing simple lap belts) only to be told - by both Mothercare and Halfords - that our car seat (a Maxi Cozy Pebble) only works on a standard (forward-facing) seat. Moreover, both told us that there is no such thing as a child seat designed for a rear-facing back seat.

So...

The choices seem to be:
a) disable the passenger front seat airbag (not easy to do on our foreign, imported van)
And/or
b) get the interior re-modelled so that the bench faces forwards (apparently this will cost about a grand)

Unless...
c) a car seat designed for a rear-facing back seat exists.

Obviously safety is our top priority here. But it does seem a bit ridiculous that option C doesn't exist. Or does it?

superbfairywren Mon 02-Nov-15 16:06:00

Afraid i dont know which option it would be but i would recommend you Ring the in car safety centre, they will be able to tell you if that's true. I wouldn't trust mothercare or halfords.

JDad2015 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:32:44

Thanks superbfairywren - I've just emailed them.

BertieBotts Wed 04-Nov-15 18:20:05

YY to in car safety centre.

I think that you will struggle to find an infant seat which does fit. Your best bet might be a convertible one which goes forward and rear facing, but even those are usually not approved. The issue is that the law says infants must travel rear facing - hence all infant seats are designed to rear face on a standard forward facing bench seat. If they sold an infant seat which faced the same direction as the seat, then some numpty would buy it, put it on a normal, forward facing bench seat and then it could cause a problem (in theory, anyway!)

You might want to start looking now for the next stage car seat which can be installed on a rear facing seat, too, because that might also take a while! I seem to remember reading that DS' seat could be, that was a Kiddy.

JDad2015 Wed 04-Nov-15 23:07:08

Thanks - In Car Safety Centre says a seat for a rear-facing bench does not exist. So we are going with option A and B.

superbfairywren Thu 05-Nov-15 19:46:06

That's a shame but at least you have a definite answer. The in car safety centre are fab.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 12-Nov-15 00:16:33

Can you use a group 0/1, that turns round?

But have it facing 'forwards' as for an older baby, so your little baby is travelling backwards?

I don't know which brands of seat these are, as we had a maxi cosi.

So I can't suggest a company to email, to see if its possible.

But if you look in a large mothercare or similar, you can see the style of seat and note the make and model.

JDad2015 Thu 12-Nov-15 04:30:12

No - sadly not. Our campervan doesn't have ISOFIX for starters. And because seats are designed to be rear-facing it's not a simple case of putting them in the other way round - the safety features don't work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now