Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What colour is maxi cosi Pebble raspberry?

(10 Posts)
ShootTheMoon Sun 16-Aug-15 16:55:08

Has anyone seen this? Is it a red or is it really a pink colour?

DD's car seat has just come out of the garage and it's mouldy on the straps angry. I told DH this was a risk when it went away, but he said it wouldn't be a problem as the garage is dry. And to top it off, its manufacture date was 2009 (bought in late 2011) so we think it's recommended to buy a new one anyway, though information online is frustratingly vague on whether the maxi cosi 5 year recommendation is from manufacture or from date of use.

In any case case we need a new car seat and I was wondering if the pebble raspberry is pink or red. We have a red baby jogger.

Thanks!

Archer26 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:59:10

I have the raspberry pebble and it is definitely more red. A deep red, nothing too vibrant.

If I could figure out how to upload a photo I would.....confused

BertieBotts Sun 16-Aug-15 17:01:48

The maxi cosi five year recommendation only applies in the US so I wouldn't worry about it.

You ought to be able to get hold of new straps I would have thought? Or just take them out, soak in bleach and scrub with toothbrush. They will be stained but the mould will be gone.

ShootTheMoon Sun 16-Aug-15 17:02:58

Brilliant, thank you Archer! It does look red in the photo on the website but I just wanted to check. The grey cover from our old seat has cleaned up ok so we could always go back to using that anyway, but this is very helpful to know, thanks smile

ShootTheMoon Sun 16-Aug-15 17:05:47

Thanks Bertie - the five year recommendation is in our user guide, so although the plastic does look fine, I have got used to the idea of buying a new seat. We have tried scrubbing the straps with vinegar and no joy yet, though I may have another go following some recommendations online.

DH is a bit concerned about the idea of using bleach/products on the straps as they have to take the force in the event of an impact.

ShootTheMoon Sun 16-Aug-15 17:08:50

Oh yes and new straps is a good suggestion - but they are £75!

BertieBotts Sun 16-Aug-15 17:11:21

Oh okay, if it's in the user manual then fair enough! It's on the FAQs in the US website, but not the UK one.

Blimey re new straps! I'd just look for a used one on ebay or freecycle. They're usually about £5 or free because nobody wants a used car seat. Trash the seat and use the straps.

I would not have thought bleach could weaken straps, but I don't know.

ShootTheMoon Sun 16-Aug-15 17:15:44

Thanks Bertie. It's incredibly difficult to get good information and reliable data, and very easy to be swayed by reading scaremongering things online. We have had to buy very little for this baby so we have decided to suck it up and buy new.

DH is a physicist and not a chemist so he's on shaky ground with the bleach grin. I'm 36 weeks now so we just want to get sorted.

AliceMum09 Sun 16-Aug-15 20:15:03

I think your DH is right about not wanting to use bleach on the straps. I've read things before where the manufacturers have said not to soak harness straps in biological washing powder as this can weaken them.

ShootTheMoon Mon 17-Aug-15 07:32:28

Thanks Alice! The straps do a lot of work in the event of impact so it's just not worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now