Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Rear Facing Toddler Seat

(4 Posts)
Elfie86 Fri 07-Aug-15 18:39:57

Hi all,

Passed my driving test yesterday (yay!) but now utterly overwhelmed by car seat choices. If anyone could answer some of my questions that would be amazing. smile

I have a 19 month old, she's 9.4kg but on the tall side. My car is a 2011 Hyundai i20 Comfort with isofix.

Whatever seat I get it must be rearfacing until at least 18kg. If it has passed the Swedish Plus Test that would be amazing. Ideally, it will also fulfil the new isize requirements as I understand this means the seat has been through improved side impact testing.

So, here are my questions:

1) I understand combi seats can't pass the Plus Test but may be just as safe if only used rearfacing. Is this true?

2) If the compatibility list for a seat features your car model but only from more recent years, why might that be?
For example the Concord Reverso and Maxi-Cosi 2-way Pearl only list compatibility with the i20 from 2012 onwards. I'm hoping this might be because they have only tested them in later models but they should still be compatible?

3) I've seen the Cybex Sirona get some negative press for safety. Does anyone know if this is due to the strength/inherent safety of the seat when rear facing or simply because it can be used forward facing at all?

4) Does anyone know when the Concord Reverso will undergo Plus Testing and when we might hear results?

5) I live far from any store that offers a fitting service. Is it possible or safe to fit a seat myself? If not could I order a seat online and get it fitted in a garage?

Sorry for the unending questions, I'm sure I haven't even remembered them all! Thank you very much in advance to anyone who answers. ⭐️

cookiefiend Fri 07-Aug-15 18:50:56

I spent weeks reading and stressing about this. I found a company called securatot online who sell ERF seats and know everything. Able to advise for our car etc since there was nowhere near us to try them. I wish I had called them straight away.

When our seat arrived it had a broken clip (not their fault) and they replaced it no problem. Have a look at their website.

cookiefiend Fri 07-Aug-15 18:51:55

Oh and the seat we got an izi besafe something has derailed online tutorials for installation.

ByTheWishingWell Fri 07-Aug-15 18:58:54

I also used Securatot, and they were great. They should be able to answer all of your questions and recommend a seat.

Be warned- just because your car is on the compatibility list for a particular seat doesn't mean the seat will fit in the available space! We mistakenly ordered a huge seat at first because my car was on the list- luckily someone from Securatot got in touch before dispatching it to check that we realised how big it would be. I think we would have had to take the passenger seat out to get it in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now