Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cheap car seat for hilidag

(8 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Sun 02-Aug-15 15:00:42

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced car seat to take on holiday?

My DD will be 17mo when we go and I'm reluctant to take our maxicosi one with us in case it gets damaged. I've decided to just buy a cheaper one for use on holidays and will check it in. Dd is very tall for her age and is 13.5kg.

Joneseygirl77 Sun 02-Aug-15 15:01:06

*holiday even!

JellyTipisthebest Mon 03-Aug-15 04:32:05

I would get either the britax first class, the eclipse or the prince from kiddicare. The first class has two routings so is most likely to go in every car.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 03-Aug-15 04:33:29

Sorry, no recommendations but I love your typo! grin

WishUponAStar88 Mon 03-Aug-15 05:01:15

The brittax eclipse is half price in mothercare (or was the other day). I got it as a second car seat for dd to use in other cars and it looks very comfy and sturdy for £60.

AliceMum09 Mon 03-Aug-15 13:37:48

The Eclipse and Prince are suitable for use inside the aircraft cabin if that's something you might ever want to do. They can both be fitted using just a lap belt if needed.

Joneseygirl77 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:40:55

Thanks all that's really helpful.

I'm tempted by either the Eclipse or First Class as they both have good reviews.

Does anyone know if these are high up seats? By that I mean can you see out of the window well. My DD isn't great in the car so we do a lot of excitable Mary Poppins style shouting spotting dogs/ cats to distract her! I'm after something where she can peer out grin

Also are these all belt ones and not isofix?

Thumbwitches yes my typo was one of my best!

AliceMum09 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:31:22

I think the Eclipse and the First Class are pretty much the same, apart from the First Class can be used rear facing from birth to 13kgs and doesn't have the option to be fitted with just a lap belt.

I have a First Class and when fitted forward facing it is rock solid, it doesn't move a millimetre. Like someone else said it has two alternative routes for the lap part of the seatbelt, you use the second one if the car you are fitting it in has seatbelt buckles on long stalks that are causing buckle crunch. To me it seems high up in the car, but the two cars we've owned while using it are quite 'high up' cars with low windows and the rear seat higher than the front ones (Renault Scenic 2003-2009 and now a Peugeot 5008). But I think in general it would give a decent view from most cars.

ISOFIX is not any safer than using the seatbelt, it's just a simpler method of fitting child seats.

My mum has a Prince for her car (now unused as I have discovered the benefits of rear facing and bought her a Joie Stages!) and it's probably lower in the car than the other two. You also have to decide on the recline position before you fit it in the car and it can't be altered without re-doing the seatbelt. The First Class and Eclipse can be reclined one-handed while the seat is fitted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now