This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Need help about when to change car seats!!

(10 Posts)
SamanthaAnn13 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:12:12

Hello I really need some advice as see loads of different things online! My little boy is 7 months and weighs 22lb his quiet a big boy! His feet have just started to slightly over hang his maxi cosi car seat and head is at the top! So does this mean I need a new car seat? Obviously I'll still keep him rear facing but I have a 3 door car and usualy have him in the front (passenger airbag is turnt off) are the next stage ones suitable for front seats or not? If not has anyone had one that's easy to use rear facing in a little 3 door car? I'm so confused!! Thank you grin

Bouncearound Fri 12-Jun-15 20:16:29

I think as long as his head isn't over the top of the seat it is ok. If you're worried you could take ds, seat and car to somewhere that fits car seats and ask for proper advice.
We use the Britax dual fix, which is rear facing up to around four years old and can recommend it.

Spidergirl2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:18:17

I would keep him in that one as long as possible, 28lbs is what your car seat goes up to. If his head is coming over the top then yes you will have to put him in a bigger one but legs overhanging is not a problem. I found the infant carriers better as you can take them out when they are asleep.

There's quite a few extended rear facing seats that will go in the front seat.

Where abouts in the country are you?

RandomMess Fri 12-Jun-15 20:23:00

I think with rear facers it's their eye level mustn't be higher than the top of the seat. Legs overhanging not an issue at all.

In car safety centre is very good for information and range of extended rear facers.

SamanthaAnn13 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:33:51

Thank you everyone for your replys as you can Prob tell his my first baby so havent a clue about anyof this! His head has just got near the top so Prob will be okay for a little while yet but I'll pop in to a shop and see what they think too. Just didn't wanna be taking him out in it if it was dangerous! Thank you��
Spidergirl2015 I'm in essex xx

Spidergirl2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:39:39

If you're in Essex there's a really really good little shop on lubards farm just outside Rayleigh.

incarsafetycentre.co.uk

Spidergirl2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:40:34

He'll probably outgrow his seat close to 12 months if he's a big boy.

Spidergirl2015 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:42:05

Ps they only stock seats that have met the highest safety standards. So you can feel confident when you buy. They are expert fitters too, not like your typical retail store assistant.

SamanthaAnn13 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:45:16

Ohh brilliant im not to far from there I'll defo have a look! Yes I was worried about going to a chain store as I feel like they never show much intrest and sometimes are not very well trained (just as I found out when I brought my first car seat) thank you so much for your help xx

RandomMess Sat 13-Jun-15 09:43:51

It's so nice to help someone who isn't rushing out to get their baby into a forward facing stage 1 seat who completely refuses to believe/accept how dangerous that is!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now