Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Non isofix rear facing seat?

(16 Posts)
Lozzabell Mon 01-Jun-15 22:00:08

Hellllllp!

My mother in law doesn't have isofix in her car and my son is now in the next seat up from his baby seat.
I have the Maxi Cosi AxissFix all singing all dancing chair for him in my car and would be happy to pay for this again to be installed in my MIL car but she doesn't have isofix!!

Stress!
Can anyone recommend a rear facing car seat which doesn't need isofix?
Do they even make them?

If I can't find a safe seat that I'm completely happy with, he's not going to be able to travel with her which will make life really difficult on the days I need her help! I'm expecting baby number 2... So I do need her some days!
Eek x

StuffedCrustPizza Mon 01-Jun-15 22:01:05

Joie stages. I love it and it's ERFsmile

bobajob Mon 01-Jun-15 22:01:32

Joie Tilt or Stages maybe. Britax First Class rear faces til about 2.

bobajob Mon 01-Jun-15 22:02:05

Hauck Varioguard can be belted or isofix.

mappemonde Mon 01-Jun-15 22:04:40

Britax two-way elite is brilliant and non-isofix plus the 5 point harness goes up to 25kg.

annatha Mon 01-Jun-15 22:06:30

My Graco one can be belted or isofix.

stargirl1701 Mon 01-Jun-15 22:08:07

What car does your MIL drive? ISOFIX can sometimes be retrofitted if the chassis prep was done on the factory floor. It's not expensive.

We retrofitted ISOFIX into an 05 plate Ford Focus. £15 per pair of brackets. You can DIY.

poocatcherchampion Mon 01-Jun-15 22:08:57

There are loads. Ring or visitvthe in car safety centre in Milton Keynes.

We've got britax maxway, two way elites and britax hiway from there. Also joie stages fit the bill.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 01-Jun-15 22:13:11

Besafe izi plus is a great seat that belt fixes.

CorBlimeyTrousers Mon 01-Jun-15 22:13:28

We have the Britax Two-Way Elite (son is now 4yo so don't know if they still do that model).

If you're near Milton Keynes then I thoroughly recommend the In Car Safety Centre for advice.

I will say that extended rear facing non-Isofix seats are harder to fit correctly (for example, the seat has to be braced against the front seat so if a passenger adjusts the seat - yes FIL I'm looking at you - the seat becomes lose).

curlyclaz13 Mon 01-Jun-15 22:16:33

We have the britax max way, I belive you can rear face long using a seatbelt?

Lozzabell Wed 03-Jun-15 07:48:30

Gosh thank you SO much. I feel so much better now, knowing there's a suitable seat available. I'm in Essex and I'll definitely make the trip to MK.
Thanks again! Xx

Skeppers Wed 03-Jun-15 07:55:35

Likewise here with Graco. I have an old car which doesn't have isofix- the Graco one I have is belted and the next best thing, and not a massive hassle to put in/take out like some would have you believe...takes a bit more than just clicking it onto a base, but literally 10 seconds max. And I only have a Micra so it's not all that spacious in the back!

chocolocodowninacapulco Fri 05-Jun-15 21:08:21

There's an in car safety centre in Essex too, in Rayleigh. We have the Axkid Minikid, which is great.

Feathernest Sun 21-Jun-15 12:28:56

Hi I'm in the same position, and I'm finding it so hard! Live nowhere near any of the in car safety centre shops unfortunately and they don't seem to sell Britx online. From what I've read, ERF are really tricky to install so had hoped a store would install it for me rather than buying online, but finding it really tricky. The only one I've found in a national store is the joie stages, if anyone has it could you let me know how it is? Actively quite angry about how few retailers seem to provide this option!

AliceMum09 Sun 21-Jun-15 13:54:36

The high street chains can't even organise themselves to correctly fit ISOFIX seats (the Which? investigation saw them forgetting to fold foot props out from under the seats and trying to attach top tether straps to luggage rings in the car boot confused) so fitting a seatbelted rear facing seat would be completely beyond them. The manufacturers know this, that's why they don't let high street shops sell the 25kgs seats that require foot props and tethers.

Www.rearfacing.co.uk has a list of retailers sorted by area of the country, you could have a look at that. Not sure how up to date it is though, last time I looked the place I bought my seat from (Stork Talk in Ilkeston) was on there but it closed about a year ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now