Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Group 1 or 1-2-3 for 2.8 year old?

(6 Posts)
MyNameIsSuz Sun 24-May-15 21:40:48

I recently crashed my car, total write off unfortunately, and am picking up my new car tomorrow. This means I need to get a new seat for my 2 year old (25th centile, not sure what he weighs without digging out his book).

He's been in a group 1 seat since about a year old, but I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to buy a group 1-2-3 seat since it'll last longer - the group 1 seats all say they last until about 4 years old, so it seems silly to buy that for 18 months' use if a longer-lasting seat would be just as good.

So I want to know, is there a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea? Are they less safe? The ones I'm looking at have 5 point harness and say they are suitable from much smaller than my boy.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 25-May-15 07:21:37

Impatiently bumping!

DuelingFanjo Mon 25-May-15 07:40:20

I wouldn't. My DS id four and a half and still in a group 1. If he's slight then even more reason not to. We are waiting until his head is over the top of the seat a bit more.

Someone will recommend you buy a rear facing one probably but my advice would be to at least stick with what you have until he is four+

addictedtosugar Mon 25-May-15 07:52:48

My 50th centile 4 yr old is under 16 kg, and still in his harnessed seat. Think we moved DS1 around 5yrs old. I'd get a group 1 seat for the next 2-3 years.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 25-May-15 08:12:49

Thanks, it's only because I have to buy a new one anyway after the crash that I thought I should explore all the options, otherwise would be happy with the seat I had!

MyNameIsSuz Mon 25-May-15 08:13:32

Will stick with what I know then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now