Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Tall 3 yr old and carseats

(23 Posts)
catkind Sun 15-Feb-15 09:25:37

DD is nearly 3, about 17kg, and tall - particularly in her top half. She's currently in a stage 1 ff seat which goes up to 18kg but don't know what height.

I've just noticed her head is above the side panels, but within the height of the back panel. If looked at from horizontal. Is that too tall or not? People say about their ears being level with the top of the seat, but not which part of the seat they need to be level with, or what angle you're looking from.

I think what I need is a picture guide to when they've outgrown seats for height. Is there such a thing?

Otherwise any ideas for something we can keep her in a 5 point harness in until bigger. Ideally with recline. RF not an option due to car size, underfloor storage and need to fit long legged adults in the front. Anyone tried the britax advansafix?

BMO Sun 15-Feb-15 09:29:40

In a forward facing seat their eyes/top of ears can be level with the shell of the seat before it is outgrown.

catkind Sun 15-Feb-15 09:32:52

Which bit of the seat though? I'm worried about her being taller than the side panels and whether that would reduce side impact protection.

BMO Sun 15-Feb-15 09:35:50

What seat is it? Are her eyes/ears level with the top of the side panels? If so then I'd say it's outgrown.

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 15-Feb-15 09:39:26

If you look on amazon at high backed boosters, you will see some of them have integral harnesses that can be used until the child is quite a bit older/taller. Our 4.5 yo is just changing from 5point to "normal" seatbelt now, the harness comes off to turn the seat into a normal HBB seat, we have done this with the seat in one car, not got round to doing it with the (less often used) seat in the other car.
The two seats are different brands, but the same seat in different covers iykwim.

We looked, and couldn't find, HBB with 5 point harness in shops locally, so the internet the way to go for us (they should fit any standard car).

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 15-Feb-15 09:42:03

Btw, these seats go up to age 11 (as the back/side support can come off and just leave a booster for when they are a bit older.

catkind Sun 15-Feb-15 09:42:25

It's a maxi cosi priori I think the model was.
Yes I'd say they are, guess it's time to get a move on with finding the next size seat then. Thanks.

Longtalljosie Sun 15-Feb-15 09:43:06

They mean the top, not the side panels. But call the Britax care line if you're worried.

catkind Sun 15-Feb-15 09:48:45

RawCoconut, yes, that would be the sort of thing we were looking for I think. The Advansafix one stood out as being able to use the harness up to 25kg, most others only up to 18kg though you can still use the seat till 12 or whatever. Looking at the growth charts DD is likely to hit 18kg at 3.5 or so, reluctant to have her in a 3 point belt so young.
Are there any other models you've noticed? That was the only one I've found so far.

dementedpixie Sun 15-Feb-15 09:48:50

they will mean the bit the back of her head rests on for where eyes/ears should be level with.

catkind Sun 15-Feb-15 09:50:20

Oh, josie thinks we might be okay still. Perhaps I had better ask maxicosi to be sure.
Definitely a picture guide would be good. Think we need that with baby seats too, so many people say they've grown out length-wise when they really haven't.

catkind Sun 15-Feb-15 09:50:41

Sorry lots of x-posts, hope it's clear who I'm answering where. Thanks all for your help!

dementedpixie Sun 15-Feb-15 09:51:15

two way elite is another that harnesses past 18kg. I don't think there are many on the market tbh. The normal group 123 seats still say to remove the harness at 18kg and use the adult seatbelt.

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 15-Feb-15 10:17:10

One of the HBB seats with harness we have is a Ferrari beline HBB (currently on special offer on amazon), it matches the colour of my car (sadly not a Ferrari!). Can't remember what the other one (it's in DH car) is but it is essentially the Same seat with a spiderman cover.

BMO Sun 15-Feb-15 10:28:42

Those are only harnessed up to 18kg though presumably Raw?

catkind Sun 15-Feb-15 22:00:18

That's interesting, maxicosi now say when the child's shoulders are 2cm above the highest strap setting. Will have to check that tomorrow.

Though sounds like we're going to want to get a 1-3 seat anyway at some point soon, so will have a look at the ones mentioned. Thanks again for the ideas.

Daisybell1 Mon 16-Feb-15 07:00:01

Thank you for this thread - we're in the same situation - DD is 3.5 and only 15kg, but she's tallish and the straps are constantly jamming on my Maxi Cosi Tobi which is driving me crackers and concerns me how it would perform in an accident.

I came away from Halfords with a Britax Evolva 123 yesterday - I'm not completely convinced but they only had a very limited range in store so I couldn't try anything else.

I wouldn't put a 9mo in it, but DD seemed quite happy. So long as its a safe seat and it fits the car properly.

Fairylea Mon 16-Feb-15 07:15:20

Watching with interest. I have the same issue with my ds who is 2.7 and 16kg and very tall. It seems unsafe to put him in a seat with an adult belt but there isn't much choice in the shops! Going to browse online later.

isthatmorelego Mon 16-Feb-15 07:17:50

Britax explorer if still available. D's is just turned 9 but is more size of 7 and he still fits the back obviously not 5 point but just an idea on size.

dementedpixie Mon 16-Feb-15 07:25:38

Ds had an evolva 123 at one point and used it with the harness to start with and then without when he got to 18kg. It is very roomy and he seemed to find it comfortable

Daisybell1 Mon 16-Feb-15 07:56:44

Thank you Pixie, that's reassuring, Catkind, sorry for hijacking!

Booboostoo Mon 16-Feb-15 08:47:34

DD is 3.5yo, 17kgrs and 105cms. We use the Britax two way with the harness for the second car and for holidays (it is reasonably light) and I am waiting for a Cybex solution to arrive for everyday use although that uses the seatbelt.

isthatmorelego Mon 16-Feb-15 20:43:00

Actually evolva123 not explorer

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: