Talk

Advanced search

Confused about car seat regulations? We've spent hours researching and testing the best car seats on the market. Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

Is there such a thing as extended rear facing to 4 years fixing using seatbelt?

(9 Posts)
Olivexo Fri 13-Feb-15 19:54:34

I really wanted the cybex one but it's isofix only and my car doesn't have isofix.
Is there such a seat that exists that rear faces till the child is 4 using the seat belt only?

All my searches bring up to about 15 months rear facing then forward face after that.

Ideally I'd like him rear facing till he's 4.

Contemplating getting a new car that does have isofix. hmm

MoonlightandRoses Fri 13-Feb-15 20:44:07

Have you had a look at BeSafe? We had their isoFix RF, which was great, but looks as though they do up to 4-5yo RF in belted too.

Iamrandom Fri 13-Feb-15 20:48:07

The besafe izi kid does, it's up to 18kg and I think there's now a plus version up to 25kg. We've been very happy with ours as is our child.

CaptainMorgansMistress Fri 13-Feb-15 20:49:58

The britax two way elite should meet your criteria too and we would definitely recommend it.

LMLytton Fri 13-Feb-15 20:53:36

I have an Axkid minikid that is ERF belted to 25 kg

AliceMum09 Fri 13-Feb-15 23:15:36

Britax Multi Tech II, Britax Maxway.

The added advantage of belt-fixed seats is that they have a weight limit for the child of 25kgs, and usually a longer backrest. So if your child is tall/heavy for their age they are not going to get to 4 years old in an ISOFIX seat anyway, you'd be better off with a seatbelted one.

ISOFIX was only invented as a simpler method of fitting child seats, not a safer one.

4yoniD Fri 13-Feb-15 23:27:40

Britax Max-way.

Just to mention, it is (I think) possible to have isofix fitted - but I'm not recommending it. Isofix won't hold unlimited weight, and there isn't a universal weight they all test to (in the way that group 1 car seats go to 18kg, etc) so I don't think you'd want a 4 year old held in solely by isofix. For example, for high back boosters with isofix the isofix will only hold in an empty car seat. If you crash with kids on the seat, the adult seatbelt does the work. Hope that makes sense - not sure if it does!!

Olivexo Sat 14-Feb-15 09:51:58

Thank you so much! Yes that makes perfect sense 4yonid. I think it would be a bit of a hassle getting it all installed anyway to be honest.

twomoreminutes Sat 14-Feb-15 23:11:13

We have the Britax 2-way Elite, which we use rear-facing. Well actually, we have two!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: