Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Anybody know how to stop Houdini child escaping car seat?

(33 Posts)
PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:00:01

Hi, I've got a very small for her age, very slender 17 month old escapologist.

Having mastered the highchair, baby carrier and pushchair she's now figured out how to escape the car seat. Even with the straps pulled tight and no coats or jumpers on, with a bit of wiggling she can pop her shoulders free and then climb completely out of the seat.

She's currently still in her group 0 maxi cosi though will be growing out of it in the next couple of months. I've used the Houdini stop strap on her highchair and baby carrier but found she still popped her shoulder out but then got her arm horrendously stuck and screamed a lot so stopped using it.

Does anyone know of a group 1 car seat which can't be escaped? Or of any product that actually works to stop escapes without impacting on the safety of the seat?

Any advice from other more experienced owners of escapee children gratefully received!

youarewinning Tue 11-Nov-14 20:04:43

There is actually a strap to use called a Houdini!!! I'll have a quick google and link it here for you.

youarewinning Tue 11-Nov-14 20:05:31

Sorry not sure how I missed the bit where you said you'd used one!!! I'll have a look at what I know anyway and see if it's any use to you?

youarewinning Tue 11-Nov-14 20:08:47

www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Safe-Belt-Blue/dp/B00FEYEF1C/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1415736381&sr=1-2&keywords=houdini+strap

These are really good - called a bee belt

PurplePoppySeed Tue 11-Nov-14 20:18:50

We've still got the maxicosy group 0 in one car and have put our next stage seat (maxicosy 0+) in the other car while DD still fits both. She does seem to try to escape the old seat much more than the new one! Part of it is forward facing gives her lots to look at but also the bigger seats do have better straps etc as they expect to be holding escape artists! The our group 0 is only 3 point, but the new 0+ we've bought is 5 point + the way in which you loosen them is more tricky & the clip hasn't got such an easy big red button on it! (We have the cabriofix group 0 & pearl 2-way 0+)

PurplePoppySeed Tue 11-Nov-14 20:20:14

Oh - sorry forgot to say DD is 14mo and is also long, skinny & wriggly like your LO

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 11-Nov-14 20:39:13

I had a stage 1 that my DD could wiggle out of so I bought a Kiddy car seat instead with an impact cushion instead of straps. I'm not sure if those extra clips that tie the straps together at the top are that safe in an accident when you need to get the child out quickly.

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:46:40

Thanks everyone, wonder if it's worth hurrying up the purchase of the next stage car seat then and see if she stays in that. If not I'll have to test out a few of the different straps and see what works.

Has anyone tired this one? 5pointplus.com/about/how-does-it-work/

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:50:13

I worry a bit about any of the add on straps incase they affect safety in a crash but even so they've got to be safer than an escapee child. It's not even that she just gets her arms fee, she literally climbs out of all of the straps and stands up.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Tue 11-Nov-14 20:54:47

I had the same problem and was about to buy a chest strap but they aren't considered safe in the uk, not sure how that bee thing would compare though

andadietcoke Tue 11-Nov-14 20:55:47

I've heard the Recaro Monza is impossible to get out of. int.recaro-cs.com/child-seats-details/recaro-monza-nova-is.html

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:57:36

The review saying that the bee thing can be removed by the child by undoing the Velcro worries me on that one as she loves Velcro so that would tempt her.

Would it be worth turning the airbag off and moving her into the front of the car where I can keep an eye in her or is that just unsafe and likely to distract me when driving?

I'm so lucky my mum was in the car today and able to climb into the back and secure her again but I daren't really go out again now!

ceeveebee Tue 11-Nov-14 21:00:48

We have impact shields for our 3 yo twins too, they used to hate going in the car and always wiggled their arms free but now they love it - call them their "cosy cushions"

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 11-Nov-14 21:03:36

At that age, a pulled onto the hard shoulder and shouted whilst strapping him back in. then we stopped at the next services and had a cuddle.

He hasn't done it since.

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Nov-14 21:04:15

DD learnt how to get out of the Five Point Plus in about 20 mins. At her peak she would do if before I'd got round the front and buckled myself up.

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 21:09:03

I thought the car seats with impact shields were supposed to be dangerous as the child can fall out if the car rolls or something? It has got some really bad reviews as well. I know I've threatened to cable tie her hands and feet together but realistically I would like her to be comfortable grin

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 21:10:38

Oh interesting ceevee as I've seen loads of reviews saying children hates the impact shield as it squished their arms up. Aarrgghh I don't know what to doooo!

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 21:18:34

I was planning on getting her a cybex sirona as I wanted her rear facing for a while longer but now I'm worried I'm going to spend nearly £400 on a car seat and she's going to climb straight out of it!

She's such a skinny little thing, only just about hitting 9kg now at nearly 17 months and I think that how small she is makes it easier for her.

icanhaveadarksideifyouwantmeto Tue 11-Nov-14 21:23:00

what I do is put the child in a cardi open, then do up the straps, then close the cardi.

that way all the gubbins is inside the cardi and they cant get to it to undo it.
it also means that they cannot pop thier shoulders out

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 21:35:04

Does the child not just undo the cardigan? I'm going to try it because it's a genius idea but she escapes clothes too

PoppyWearer Tue 11-Nov-14 21:36:54

Yes to the "Houdini Stop" strap. Worked for us.

GinnelsandWhippets Tue 11-Nov-14 21:38:50

We've got a Kiddy impact shield one and fitted properly I think it's impossible to get out of. Safety wise they came out really well in the Which review - safer than 5 point harness front facing ones but not quite as safe as rear facing I think. We've been very happy with it.

PickledLilly Tue 11-Nov-14 21:55:17

Houdini stop doesn't work for her Poppy, she gets her arm stuck at a really awkward angle and screams her head off.

I'll have another look at impact shields then if they've worked for a few people

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Tue 11-Nov-14 22:08:08

I've never had an 'escaper', but we have the Kiddy impact shield too and it fits very snugly if done properly. My dd is quite slight (only just 11kg at 2years). She finds it pretty comfortable, often puts her head down on the shield to go to sleep.

icanhaveadarksideifyouwantmeto Tue 11-Nov-14 22:09:35

you could try putting the cardi on backwards so that she cant get to the buttons.

ime buttons are harder than straps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now