Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Isofix paranoia

(9 Posts)
Biped Mon 27-May-13 15:29:33

Hello,

I have a bit of a rookie question - I hope you can help me out. Our baby is due any day and we've been trying out the car seat that we bought to make sure we know how to fit it properly. We have a Maxicosi Cabriofix and a Familyfix base. We're finding that even after we get the green light showing up on the base to say everything's installed properly, there's a bit of side to side movement in the isofix base - as if it's sliding along the isofix bars that are in the seat. Also, it's possible to lift the whole thing up (the chair attached to the base) and it pivots on the isofix bars. I was worried that if the car rolled over or something, the seat and isofix base could flip right up against the backrest of the back seat. Am I doing something wrong?

Think my pre-birth nerves are getting the better of me! grin

nextphase Mon 27-May-13 17:45:23

Not got the maxicosi, but yes, there is a little bit of play in our isofix base. Have you pushed the base back into the seat as far as it will go - ours needed to latch in, and then there was another mechanism to push it back towards the boot to get it as close as possible.
Also, when the seat is on, our infant carrier instructions said to move the carrying handle til it was against the seat back, so there was no movement in that direction either.
Worth reading the instructions, tho I see lots of people without the handle swung, so maybe it was just for our carseat.

Congrats on your impending baby!

Biped Mon 27-May-13 18:12:23

Brilliant - thank you. That makes perfect sense. I had been frantically searching on the internet for instructions for the actual seat, as there weren't any in the box it came in. Have subsequently discovered from another thread on here that they are hidden inside some kind of secret pocket in the seat itself?!?

Thank goodness for this website!

alienbanana Mon 27-May-13 18:14:47

The instructions should be in the back pocket (there's a little clip holding it shut).

alienbanana Mon 27-May-13 18:16:52

If not.... www.maxi-cosi.com/products/car-seats/infant/cabriofix/service.aspx

smile

alienbanana Mon 27-May-13 18:18:43

Here's the one for the base

www.maxi-cosi.com/products/car-seats/base-units/familyfix/service.aspx

TripTheLightFanjotastic Mon 27-May-13 18:33:25

Nextphase, for the maxicosi car seats the carry handle should be upright when in the car, the first link above says that. But as you say, your seat is different, hence why everyone should read their instructions properly!

StrawberryMojito Mon 27-May-13 18:39:20

This is not what you asked and you may well already know it but: there is a sun visor hidden inside the rim of the car seat that hooks over the handle of the car seat. My baby was 6 months before I worked this out!

Again, apologies if you already know this.

Biped Mon 27-May-13 19:03:55

Thank you all for your help. I feel much more confident about getting the baby back from the hospital - now just the birth to worry about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now