Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

ERF seats for Renault Scenic with underfloor storage boxes

(19 Posts)
karensb Sat 03-Nov-12 11:03:37

I am looking ahead at erf seats for when my 6 month old outgrows his baby seat.

We have a scenice which has the underfloor storage compartments and I have had differing advice from in car safety centre and securotot about whether you can or cannot fill them with polystyrene or bubble wrap to use a seat with a leg.

So I wanted to know who has and who hasn't and what seats fit well in your scenic?

I also wanted to know how far the passenger seat would have to go forward
. I'm often the passenger and have long legs and also need to fit 2 dogs in the footwell so the seat couldn't go too far forward.

He is a big baby so am looking for one that goes to 25kg rather that 18kg as he is already about 10kg.

Anyone with any experience?

lagoonhaze Sat 03-Nov-12 13:14:31

My 02 plate older style fits a besafe izi combi isofix - tried a friends it missed box completely.
axkid kidzone fitted to with the box open it just reached the floor.

Im still deciding on a seat for my scenic at present. Im not convinced about filling them either even though hakan the car seat expert on carseat.se says its fine.

As for the dogs they are safer in the boot with a guard as could become lethal projectile objects in an accident. Sorry sad but true.

karensb Sat 03-Nov-12 13:28:47

Thanks. I agree about the dogs but the pushchair is in the boot and we couldn't find a boot divider to allocate one half for the dogs so have no choice . They ar harnessed on long journeys so can't fly around.

I don't know if the in car safety centre would fit a car seat if the leg missed the storage compartment as they are quite particular about it. So don't know how to check as they wont fit them to see!

karensb Sat 03-Nov-12 13:29:14

We have an 04 model by the way.

lagoonhaze Sat 03-Nov-12 20:19:36

When I say it missed it that means it rests on a solid part if the floor so no reason why it cant be fitted.

Oodthunkit Sat 03-Nov-12 20:45:27

We have a two way elite, you can move the middle row of seats back as well as the front one so you could get quite a lot of space though I'm a short arse

Oodthunkit Sat 03-Nov-12 20:46:26

It also fits ok one the middle seat tethered to both front seats.

We checked with in car safety people before buying.

karensb Sun 04-Nov-12 19:26:35

We cant use the middle seat as would be too crowded for my older daughter and gives her no space on longer journeys abroad etc.

blueberryboybait Sun 04-Nov-12 19:30:49

We have 2 besafe izi combi isofix in our grand scenic and the foot misses the box on both sides.

Oodthunkit Sun 04-Nov-12 19:33:08

Side seats are ok too just giving you an alternative.

karensb Sun 04-Nov-12 19:54:47

Thanks it's all really helpful.

Does anyone know if the In car safety centre would sell you a seat that misses the boxes? I would like to get it from there to try some out but it's a long way to go! I will ring them but if anyone has any experience?

Oodthunkit Sun 04-Nov-12 19:59:33

They sell online so they can't stop you but will get guidance over the phone

nicm Sun 04-Nov-12 21:17:42

hi, i got a britax two way elite when i had my scenic. it's agreat seat, very light, easy to install and goes to 25kgs.

smile

karensb Mon 05-Nov-12 08:47:37

nicmhow far did the front passenger seat have to Go forward? That's the one I have been suggested as doesn't have afoot prop.

Buba2012 Mon 05-Nov-12 16:20:32

I just don't see why you would spend a lot of money on a car seat to fill the storage with polystyrene and not know if it will perform the way it should?! All car fillers are made with polypropylene a softer shock absorbing material. I just don't think it's worth it! In car safety would fit a seat if it missed the boxes or the leg was long enough to drop to the bottom so call them again!

Kroder1 Mon 05-Nov-12 21:22:57

BeSafe told me they were totally fine with using layers of polystyrene cut from a £5 sheet from a DIY store and in fact they write in in their manual.

nicm Tue 06-Nov-12 20:23:49

hi karensb, from what i remember it was fine. we had it behind the passenger seat and i could fit in the passenger seat fine. it was a grand scenic and dp could just fit, he's over 6ft though! if it was too tight a squeeze you could put him in the front with the airbag off? i used to do this and the side wings are not too high that you can still see the door mirror.

smile

Buba2012 Tue 06-Nov-12 21:10:14

Kroder is it really worth it though. Besafe might say that but at the end of the day they want to sell seats... They can't test it so therefore surely it's an unapproved filler where as ones designed for the car are approved?

AllIWant85 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:53:19

I've just bought an Axkid Kidzofix for my 2004 Scenic as it goes to 25kg rf. DH is 6'2 but still has a fair amount of room in the front. As for the support leg, it misses the storage box. The person who fitted it opened it then lay it flat but didn't click it shut so even if the leg moved backwards a bit it wouldn't be over the box.

It can fix by ISOfix or seatbelt rf. If I fit it with the seatbelt (which you must do when DC are 18kg as all ISOfix only goes to that) then I don't need to move the seat at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now