Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Swivel c ar seat for five month old

(15 Posts)
Ginga66 Fri 02-Nov-12 00:18:53

Hello,

I urgently need to get a new car seat for two reasons...
Firstly my boy is massive and hardly fits his.
Secondly my back is out twice this month and I need an easy to use seat.
Am I right in thinking the axis is only from nine months and is there anything else on the market I can get that swivels?
Much appreciated.

jennimoo Fri 02-Nov-12 08:34:58

IIRC The age isn't the important thing, it's his weight and possibly height.

Graciescotland Fri 02-Nov-12 08:56:42

Cybex Sirona is suitable from newborn to 4, erf, 360 degree swivel, expensive though.

notfarmingatthemo Fri 02-Nov-12 09:01:40

The matrix does but it is really pricey. Which seat do you have a the moment and are you leaving it in the car.
Avoid carrying baby in the seat. Use the pushchair to get ds into groups from house to car (if you can't park outside the house)
Getting a child into a rear facing carseat is easier than a forward facing seat so is better for your back as well as much safer for your child, so look at rear faceing carseat I'm sure someone who know about these seats will be along in a bit

Ginga66 Fri 02-Nov-12 21:27:16

Ok I will check out those seats. He is a big baby but we were told in the shop today that age did matter?
I don't carry the seat anymore but it is very awkward getting him in?

blueberryboybait Fri 02-Nov-12 21:33:00

If he is still under 9kgs (20lbs) then he needs to be rear facing but most seats carry LOs up to 13kg, have you removed the head hugger and any additional padding from his existing seat? A little squashed is fine if he is withing the weight limit and his head is not less than 1inch from the top of the seat.

If you have put your back out carrying him in the seat, why don't you leave it in the ca

SecretNutellaFix Fri 02-Nov-12 21:33:13

What weight is he?

Is his head actually out of his infant car seat?

SecretNutellaFix Fri 02-Nov-12 21:34:59

FWIW, he won't be safe forward facing until his neck muscles and bones have developed enough to withstand a crash. There is no way a 5 month old, regardless of weight would be able to do that.

BertieBotts Fri 02-Nov-12 21:40:56

Legally as long as he's 9kg you can put him forward facing.

Practically/safety-wise, age matters because at 5 months (even at 9 months, IMO) it's a massive strain on their neck for them to be forward facing. Their heads are still so much bigger than their bodies (in proportion to an adult's or older child's head/body size ratio) and the way that a five point harness works is to restrain the shoulders back. That means in a crash, shoulders are held back by the straps, but head gets catapulted forwards at 30mph or however fast you were going. That's a lot of strain on the neck of a baby under the age of 1.

It's safer for them to be rear facing because in the event of a crash they would be cradled by the car seat itself, much less chance of injury.

Ginga66 Fri 02-Nov-12 23:42:10

Ok I'm convinced to stay rear facing. Is there anything cheaper than cybex sirona? Cld not find a price for the matrix.

Ginga66 Fri 02-Nov-12 23:43:06

Last time he was weighed he was nearly nine kg btw. He's a very big baby. I don't carry car seat anymore. It's just standard mamas and papas one.

MegMogAndOwl Sat 03-Nov-12 06:50:34

What about looking at one of the combined group 0+/1 seats? Something like the britax first class plus. You can still keep them rear facing til 13kg then forward facing til 18kg.
Because they're designed to be used until around 4 years, the seat are that much bigger. My dd for example wouldn't need to go forward facing til 2.5 years if she stays on the same centile.
Ive got the mamas and papas primo viaggo seat as well. I was worried she was going to out grow it at about 8 or 9 months as she didn't have much growing room left at the top. She can't have got much taller in the last few months though as she's now 14 months and her head's still about an inch from the top.

TeuchterInTheCity Sat 03-Nov-12 06:57:23

I have a Britax First Class, like you both my DC are huge and I couldn't carry them in the bucket seat any longer. It's nice and roomy and you can keep them rear facing as long as you like.

BertieBotts Sat 03-Nov-12 09:58:59

If he continues to stay on the centile line he's on he should hit 13kg at around 18 months, so a combined seat might be okay, but an extended rear facing seat will take you up to two years and beyond which I think is recommended by safety groups (just not backed up in UK law!)

The First Class is a good seat but it's awkward to get the baby in because the seatbelt is in the way! If you have isofix you might find one which doesn't have this problem.

nicm Sun 04-Nov-12 21:22:27

hi, what about a britax hi-way? i got one for ds2 when he was around 5/6months. i had spd after he was born and couldn't carry the seat so it was staying in the car anyway. it is suitable from birth and i found it much easier getting him in and out as there was no seatbelt in the way and it sat higher so not as much bending over! ds1 was a big baby and he can still fit in this seat at 4.5 yrs.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now