Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is it safer to keep DD in car seat not she's over 135cm?

(15 Posts)
Growlithe Fri 26-Oct-12 06:20:39

DD is 9 and is 138cm. Some of her friends have stopped using a car seat, and so she is desperate to. hmm

Does anyone know if its actually safer to have them in or out of the car seat once they've hit the height?

TIA

Growlithe Fri 26-Oct-12 06:43:34

Ooops - Title should read 'now she's over 135cm' blush

feetheart Fri 26-Oct-12 06:46:49

I am no expert but I think its partly about how a seatbelt fits round them. The car seat lifts them up so that the seatbelt fits over their shoulder and not across their neck.
My DD is also 9 and tall but has been told we will still be using the car seat as it has side protection as well. I have told her that she is too precious to risk her safety - that has stopped any complaints so far smile

feetheart Fri 26-Oct-12 06:48:05

I knew what you meant and I'm not awake yet smile

Growlithe Fri 26-Oct-12 07:05:22

I get your point about the side protection feetheart, and the seatbelt height would depend on the car you are in I suppose.

The safety stuff I've read online mentions the seatbelt position but it's mostly concerned with what the law prescribes rather than advising what is most safe.

I'm more than happy to keep her in it until it gets uncomfortable for her, and she understands that we will decide on what is safest for her.

I was just wondering if it ever gets to a point where it is actually safer NOT to use it, or is that a stupid question?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 26-Oct-12 07:20:52

I think it is like the toddler one, it depends on the position of the head of the child. The side protection only protect the head if it sits comfortably in the head rest of the seat, if the head goes too far above the head rest then it becomes dangerous.
Is it when the ears are above the highest setting?

lljkk Fri 26-Oct-12 07:31:17

I think technically anyone under about 5'1" should use a booster, and would be safer using one. But it's not culturally acceptable. It's our habit to think of boosters as baby equipment rather than safety equipment.

DS is nearly 13 & nearly 5'2" and has only just stopped using a booster, he liked sitting a bit higher & even now the belt doesn't fit ideally.

lljkk Fri 26-Oct-12 07:32:40

Just checked, 5'1" is 155 cm. Everything about car safety is designed for typical adult heights (maybe 5'1" to 6'4").

Growlithe Fri 26-Oct-12 09:11:07

Thanks lljkk that makes sense when you look at it like that.

JollyJackOLantern Fri 26-Oct-12 09:16:17

Hmm. I think I need a booster! I'm 5'1 and i struggle with the seatbelt being too high and catching me round the neck when I'm sitting in the front of some cars.

Growlithe Fri 26-Oct-12 18:04:29

Thanks JollyJack it's made her feel better that a lady on MN feels like she should have a booster seat too grin

JollyJackOLantern Fri 26-Oct-12 19:20:41

Lol, glad I could help!

TruthSweet Mon 29-Oct-12 11:55:06

Growlithe - does your DD pass the 5 point test? Also, in Germany the rule for being out of a booster is 150cm - see here and I think the EU may bring this in all over Europe.

Growlithe Mon 29-Oct-12 19:10:35

Thanks for that link Truth. I wonder why they don't issue something like this with the seats. It seems like common sense when you see it set out like that, and can be shown to a child of her age when they moan that they feel like a baby when their friends are out of car seats (although in actual fact its only one friend that doesn't use one any more).

She's accepted she'll be in it a while yet, and we'll be more clued up as to when she needs to stop using it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. thanks

SoldierKatnissEverdeen Mon 29-Oct-12 19:15:54

Thanks op and those who responded, this is very useful for my 9 yr old giant. She has been off a booster for a while but I will do the 5 point test to make sure its the right thing for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now