Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help! Need car seat advice for dinky 4 yo

(4 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Wed 03-Oct-12 10:57:24

I've just got a 2004 VW Touran (has isofix and underfloor storage in the back) and need a new car seat for DD - wanted one anyway as current one is (1) secondhand blush and (2) knackered but I've just moved it over to the Touran and am concerned it's buckle crunching.

She is about a metre tall and just under 14 kg.

I probably wouldn't put her rear-facing now (maybe I should?) so not sure whether to get something like a Maxi Cosi Mobi or Britax Two Way Elite as it feels as though I'm paying for ERF which we're not going to use. Also I'm really struggling to find somewhere to buy them (could get the Mobi about a 40 min drive away, not sure about the Elite).

OTOH I'm reluctant to buy a Group 1 seat that only goes up to 18 kg if she's going to outgrow it in a few months.

But then Group 1 seat + Group 2,3 seat = not very much more than buying an ERF seat. I think. Argh.

Or I could get a Group 1,2,3 seat but have read that safety is compromised.

We're going to have to take a trip at some point to get an ERF for 1 yo DS but I think his current seat will fit in the new car so slightly less urgent. Also am expecting him to be in that for a while so he won't be inheriting DD's Group 1 seat.

Help!

DitaVonCheese Wed 03-Oct-12 11:28:15

Leaning towards getting a Group 1 and then Group 2,3 I think ...

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 12-Oct-12 22:32:09

why not get a kiddy guardian? can keep her with the impact shield up to 18kg if you want to or remove at 15kg. Although safety is paramount peer pressure starts to feature when they are at school and the fact that the kiddy becomes a hbb and doesn't have straps may well persuade her to remain in it with the cushion without having daily tantrums about not wanting to be a "baby" in a 5 point harness

DitaVonCheese Sat 13-Oct-12 21:11:34

Thanks smile Ended up with a couple of Two Way Elites - DD is forward facing atm (though says she wants to be rear facing!) but decided I wanted to keep her in a harness for as long as possible (so fingers crossed peer pressure doesn't get to her!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now