Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

So if you HAVE to use a FF seat for a 14mo - Kiddy car seat the best option?

(9 Posts)
QueenOfFlamingEverything Tue 18-Oct-11 20:58:53

I've posted before about our carseat troubles, basically we bought a Britax First Class Plus for DS (14mo, 11.5kg ish) who was in it RF in my car. Then the car had to be replaced, and the new (actually quite old but new to us) car has stupidly long buckle anchors that caused bad buckle crunch when fitting it RF.

We absolutely cannot afford an ERF car seat, its out of the question, they cost nearly as much as our car did.

I have been offered a secondhand Kiddy Infinity Pro (from a trusted and known family, NOT off Ebay or similar) and am wondering - that would be safer than the FF Britax we are currently using, right?

CurrantPun Tue 18-Oct-11 21:03:55

We have a Kiddy Guardian Pro, and we love it. DS is very comfortable in it, and immediately looked safer in it than in his previous MaxiCosi.

IMO, Kiddy seats are the next best option if a rear-facing seat isn't a possibility.

prioneyes Tue 18-Oct-11 21:07:50

I'm currently considering the Concord Transformer T Pro which is £175 online and is a group1,2,3 seat. It was recommended to me as much better than most multi-stage seats because the impact shield effectively makes is a completely different seat for smaller children. Not sure about the seat you mention, but if it turns out to be unsuitable then perhaps the Concord would be worth considering.

JuneMummy Tue 18-Oct-11 21:12:03

Hiya if you do want to keep your LO rearfacing then the Britax two way elite is cheaper then some of the kiddy car seats or are only slightly more. Its the cheapest seat out of all the rearfacing ones and it can also be used forward facing as a harnessed booster seat until 25kgs. It fits in most cars.

MustControlFistOfDeath Tue 18-Oct-11 21:16:15

Just got the Guardian Pro 2 this week, I think DS (10mo) looks a bit 'penned in' by the impact shield but I suppose that's the whole point hmm

Kiddy seats get v good safety ratings so I would imagine them to be safer than a FF Britax.

thisisyesterday Tue 18-Oct-11 21:17:08

they are apparently safer than a harnessed FF seat yes, although no-one I've asked thus far has actually been able to point me in the direction of actual evidence/research on this. it does make sense though.

there is someone on rearfacing.co.uk forum selling a besafe though... might be worth a look?

QueenOfFlamingEverything Tue 18-Oct-11 21:17:58

i can't afford a new seat full stop - the britax was new and a struggle to afford

the kiddy infinity is 2nd hand from a trusted source and so only £50 which whilst a lot to us, we can manage

prioneyes - it sounds similar, its an impact cushion one

CurrantPun Tue 18-Oct-11 21:23:34

MustControlFistOfDeath, yep, that's actually the one that we have. I was a bit worried about it at first too, but DS can even sleep in it comfortably smile. He goes into it happily, and also into the more conventional carseat that his CM has happily.

Waxteroo Fri 21-Oct-11 17:02:07

If you go over to http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=117917651608511&topic=50 there is a discussion topic on why Kiddy developed the Impact Shield for group 1 car seats and how it is safer than the 5-point harness. Hope that helps! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now