Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

DH gone on long journey with 2 year old in front

(17 Posts)
Allboxedin Sat 08-Oct-11 09:57:39

Ok, I am not even sure if it's legal, but DH has gone on a 2 hour journey today ad put our 2 year old's carseat in the front (obv forward facing)
I was not able to go ad tried to say she should be in the back but he would't listen.
Is this legal?
She is turning 2 this month.

Allboxedin Sat 08-Oct-11 09:58:11

sorry 'n' not wokring above

Oakmaiden Sat 08-Oct-11 09:59:54

It is not ideal, but as long as there is no airbag and she is in a car seat then it is not illegal, as far as I know.

Allboxedin Sat 08-Oct-11 10:05:23

So I should tell him to turn the airbag off?
There are airbags at the front.

YankNCock Sat 08-Oct-11 10:06:26

Yes, turn the airbag off!

Allboxedin Sat 08-Oct-11 10:08:43

I will text him now, just hope he gets it!

allhailtheaubergine Sat 08-Oct-11 10:13:27

Why has he put her in the front?

HoneyPablo Sat 08-Oct-11 10:18:12

I don't undrstand why you would turn the airbag off. if she is forward facing won't it be better than no airbag?
I am a bit clueless so somebody help me out.
Why would she be better off in the back?

Allboxedin Sat 08-Oct-11 10:19:10

Because I am not going with them and he said he can't attend to her if she is in the back!!
She has always gone in the back before.

rushofbloodtothefeet Sat 08-Oct-11 10:20:54

Airbags are designed for adults, with heads and adult height. They are a serious risk to young children sat lower down with weaker neck muscles. shock

Text him now!

rushofbloodtothefeet Sat 08-Oct-11 10:22:09

heads at adult height (of course most adults have heads)

Seona1973 Mon 10-Oct-11 12:43:30

not all airbags are able to be turned off so just make sure the seat is as far back from the dashboard as possible.

CMOTdibbler Mon 10-Oct-11 12:49:08

Its fine, its just best to have the seat as far back as possible. I prefer to drive with ds in the front seat as its easy to interact with him without reaching round

Seona1973 Mon 10-Oct-11 12:51:12

p.s. it is always safer to have them in the back and neither of mine have ever sat in the front (age 5 and 7). If I need to attend to them I find somewhere safe to stop.

justforinfo Sun 16-Oct-11 21:13:30

Airbag off, off, OFF! Also, tell him to push the front seat as far back as it'll go! There is no law regarding FF children being in the front seat with an active airbag but it is not recommended! They are safer in the back as they are further from the main forces of the worst type of collisions. Also, he really shouldn't be interacting with LO and concentrating on the road! (I've personally found having LO in the front massively distracting!)

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Sun 16-Oct-11 21:17:24

Idiot <him not you>

The back is much much safer & if there's an air bag that's very dangerous.

Does he normally do what's easier and not what's safer?? hmm

SecretNutellaFix Sun 16-Oct-11 21:19:49

Why would he be attending to her whilst the car is moving anyway?

Makes no difference if she's in the back or the front- if she throws something on the floor he still has to stop the car to pick it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now