Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

isofix or seat belts

(9 Posts)
fireflyz Thu 06-Oct-11 22:29:37

Can you use seat belts to secure a car seat in a different car (e.g. a taxi) if you use the same car seat in an isofix base in your usual car?

TIA

notso Thu 06-Oct-11 22:45:42

We have a CabrioFix on a family fix base in our car but use it with just a seat belt in GP's cars etc.
However sometimes the seat belt fixing isn't always the safest fixing.

nicm Thu 06-Oct-11 23:01:38

yes some can be used with no base. rear facing seats are just as safe as belted ones if fitted correctly.

smile

TipOfTheSlung Thu 06-Oct-11 23:03:21

yes with a britax, I would assume with others too

Loopymumsy Fri 07-Oct-11 21:03:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nicm Fri 07-Oct-11 22:00:22

2 seats i've had can be base or seatbelt but the new maxi cosi pearl has to be used with a base and can't use the seatbelt.

smile

Verobeach Mon 10-Oct-11 22:02:37

Do you actually need to have the base for the car seat or is it also safe to use a seat belt? I've never really seen these car seat isofix bases before, only when I went to enquire about travel systems, the shop assistant advised me to get one of them! But do you really need it??

nicm Mon 10-Oct-11 22:44:32

i'm sure it's as safe, didn't use one with either ds. was going to get one for ds2 as he was a winter baby and i thought it would be easier than having to strap the car seat in everytime, but i ended up with spd after the birth sad and couldn't carry the car seat anyway! so it was strapped in the car all the time unless someone was carrying it for me. i think it's that they are fitted correctly with the seatbelt that's the key.

smile

thisisyesterday Mon 10-Oct-11 22:47:18

generally you can... what is the car seat you have?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now