Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

forward facing in passenger seat?

(5 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Sat 24-Sep-11 15:36:31

I have nio air bag and a very small car - a nissan micra.

DS is 21 lbs and 9 months and the carseat I bought is safer in the front than the back as there's an issue with the back seatbelt rubbing the carseat.

I having him forward facing in the front the worst thing I can do?

LikeACandleButNotQuite Sat 24-Sep-11 18:18:58

not sure how this is a bad thing? Seeing as there is no airbag (I have a micra and will be doing the same with infant rear-facing as seatbelts too short in rear, and a three door, so hassle!)

As long as he is the right size/weight for said carseat, surele where it is is irrelevant?

DuelingFanjo Sat 24-Sep-11 20:43:00

I had rear facing in the front too. I am slightly worried because of all the stuff I have read about rear facing for up to four being better. Also I just wonder if he's generally safer in the back or not.

TruthSweet Sun 25-Sep-11 19:48:38

He would be far safer rfing in the front seat (very very common in Scandinavian countries) or if you aren't able to do that ffing in the middle seat in the back would be better.

If that is not possible due to seat belts/not a proper middle seat then passenger side in the back is the next best option. Any seat in the car providing it's not got a frontal airbag would be a lot safer if rfing than ffing.

If you do decide to continue to ff in the front seat, the front passenger seat should be push all the way back so the risk of injury from hitting the dash is lowered.

9m & 9kg is the absolute bare minimum to ff, not the maximum for rfing so if you were able to put your son back in his bucket until he outgrew it (1" of shell above head or 13kg unless otherwise stated in the manual) he would be much much safer even if he only lasted another few months rfing in it, that gives his head/body ratios a chance to lessen, his muscles time to be a little bit stronger and time for the bones to harden a little bit more. Really though rfing until the bones in the spine have ossified is the best bet for car safety (this happens some when between 3-6y).

DuelingFanjo Sun 25-Sep-11 21:00:54

Thank you. I will keep him in the back for now. The seat seems so high too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now