Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

RF...5 times safer until 2yrs, then...

(8 Posts)
brachy Sat 17-Sep-11 10:52:47

If rear facing is 5 times safer than forward facing until the age of 2, how do the stats change after the age of 2?

DS has just turned 2 and is still rear facing. I'm just wondering how the safety stats change.

Loopymumsy Sat 17-Sep-11 17:13:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brachy Sat 17-Sep-11 20:02:07

Perfect sense!

I just need a short response to all those who keep telling me he needs to be FF.

I have no intention of turning DS FF yet, but I am now being constantly asked by others as to when I will switch him. before the age of 2, I could say "well it is 5 times safer", now he is 2 I want a similar, very short answer so was wondering about the stat.

aswellasyou Sat 17-Sep-11 20:56:05

It's 4 times safer? wink
(I don't actually know how much safer it is!)

Loopymumsy Sun 18-Sep-11 07:31:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chelen Sun 18-Sep-11 07:59:02

I think when people question these things or tell you what to do its mostly about their own thought processes, so I just say something along the lines of 'its a nightmare isn't it, trying to work out what's best or safest all the time, so I'm just sticking with the latest research which says RF til four'.

This doesn't work with my mum tho who thinks all car seats are an unnecessary expense and modern people are too obsessed with risk... This is why she has never been allowed to take my child out for a daytrip!!

JuneMummy Sun 18-Sep-11 15:09:25

Hi. I think it is recommended to keep children rearfacing for at least 4 years. I have my 2 year old in a britax two way elite and plan to keep him rearfacing for as long as possible. Minimum 4 years. The seat can keep him rearfacing till 6 but If he gets to age 4 and doesnt want to be reafacing anymore then the seat can be switched forward facing. Some family and friends think im just paranoid and being cruel angry but its none of their business and safety comes first.

EdithWeston Sun 18-Sep-11 15:12:05

It is safer for all - and the reason why RAF VC10 planes have rear facing seats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now