Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Carry cot for long car journeys with 0-3 mths

(11 Posts)
emmstew Thu 25-Aug-11 21:01:28

Hi all. We are a Scottish couple living in London and baby is due in a few weeks. At Christmas we'd like to take her home and I was wondering if there is a way we can fit our carry cot like a car seat so she can lie flat for the journey? Does anyone know of such a thing?
We have a Silver Cross Surf carry cot.
Thanks in advance

jkklpu Thu 25-Aug-11 21:06:28

There is a sideways car seat option, though much more unusual. But don't just use your normal carry cot as it's not reinforced enough in case of an accident: you need to use the proper car seat and just stop every so often so your dc can stretch out.
FWIW, I had 2 babies in Glasgow while living in London and we split the journey for a night (in both directions, in fact). Just decided it was too far to go for me an infants and then, esp for 2yo ds2 when we did it the 2nd time. Luckily for us, have a cousin who lives in Sheffield which is quite a natural stopping point so it all worked out.

emmstew Fri 26-Aug-11 16:47:39

Thanks for your msg, jkklpu. Would you happen to know which manufacturers make such a thing (a sideways car seat?)

SecretNutellaFix Fri 26-Aug-11 16:52:34

Britax do one called the safe baby sleeper

aswellasyou Fri 26-Aug-11 19:00:54

Carrycot style carseats aren't as safe as normal carseats. The Silver Cross carseats lie very flat so I'd be more than happy using that. The newborn insert makes it even flatter. If you really want a flat seat, the Jane Matrix, Jane Transporter, Britax BabySafe Sleeper are all carrycots for the car. There are also versions by Chicco and Inglesina but I don't know what they're called.

aswellasyou Fri 26-Aug-11 19:02:42

I'm sure you won't do it now you know, but definitely don't use your normal carrycot in the car. It would be illegal and very unsafe if you were unfortunate enough to have a crash.

jkklpu Fri 26-Aug-11 19:56:54

Emmstew - Also bear in mind that you've no idea whether you will feel up to driving all the way back in a oner yourself. And if it's really only the Scotland back to London journey, is it really worth a big purchase when for most other journeys a standard seat will do?

emmstew Mon 29-Aug-11 10:28:11

thanks all

have checked out this britax one and it seems to be just the ticket!

now just have the small matter of labour/birth to get through! smile

Cheers!

BertieBotts Thu 01-Sep-11 09:56:23

Have you looked into options like flying or taking the train as well? It might be a lot easier (and similar to the cost of buying a specific carrycot which can be used in the car! smile) Tiny babies are easy on planes, especially if you are breastfeeding or baby takes a dummy.

emmstew Thu 01-Sep-11 18:48:44

BertieBotts - I have indeed and normally when we go home, we use these means of transport. But our families live rurally and we decided it would be best for the first time with Baby + extra Christmas paraphernalia, to have our own wheels.

BertieBotts Thu 01-Sep-11 21:29:06

Yes that sounds sensible! I'm guessing it would be prohibitively expensive for DH to drive and you to fly. I'm sure the journey won't be too bad smile Tiny babies usually sleep in the car anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now