Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Where did you get your rearfacing seat fitted?

(11 Posts)
Icoulddoitbetter Wed 13-Jul-11 23:03:26

I'm in the process of buying a new seat for DS after my Kiddy Energy Pro was a disaster....

Looking at the Which? reviews, all the rf seats tested come out as "don't buy" because of the risk of fitting them wrong so they are then unsafe.

I've got a Ford Focus, no Isofix and am in London. Where can I buy one and get it fitted by a professional (it will then stay in our car)?

Icoulddoitbetter Wed 13-Jul-11 23:08:41

I'd also like to get one as soon as possible as I'm not happy with the one he's in at the moment. DH thinks I'm fussing over nothing!

pookamoo Wed 13-Jul-11 23:09:22

Hi,
We also have a ford focus with no isofix, and we have a BeSafe rear facer in our car.
It was first fitted in Swindon at "That's My Baby" although I appreciate that is a long drive for you! I think there is a car seat safety centre in Milton Keynes that could be better.
We have had to take the seat out a few times since, for example when we've needed to put the back seats down to get furniture in the boot, or when my mum looked after DD for a weekend, then we moved it over to her car.
DH refitted the seat himself each time, having been shown how to do it by the man at the shop. There are also videos online on the besafe website.

I think the risk of incorrect fitting comes where staff selling the seats are not trained to fit them - the shops would prefer not to sell them at all than have their staff trained! DH has no problem moving the car seat in and out of the car, and to be honest, it is a little more faff than a conventional seat which is just clicked into the seatbelt, but it is worth it for the additional safety.

Hope this helps!

pookamoo Wed 13-Jul-11 23:10:12

Show your DH the "rear facing way forward" website. Once he's seen the stats and the crash test video (dummies only) he will be right on your side!

thisisyesterday Wed 13-Jul-11 23:10:56

the in car safety centre in Milton Keynes is fantastic. would highly recommend them

pookamoo Wed 13-Jul-11 23:13:55

that's the one I was thinking of, thisisyesterday!

JuneMummy Thu 14-Jul-11 09:45:23

I agree with thisisyesterday RE incarsafety centre in milton keynes. They are brilliant and so friendly. We bought three Britax TWE's from there and they were so helpful every time.

aswellasyou Thu 14-Jul-11 10:39:04

Here's a list of stockists. I fitted three different seats myself. As long as you're patient and give yourself time with no distractions, it's not too difficult. I checked, rechecked and checked again that I'd fitted them properly. In actual fact, they were all fairly simple once you know what you're doing. Despite living in Birmingham, I'm nowhere near a stockist so I decided to do t myself and if I found it difficult I'd go to a firestation to have it done.

EauRouge Thu 14-Jul-11 10:44:17

We got our 2 way elite at the in car safety centre too after a recommendation on MN. They have been brilliant and we'll go back there for DD2's rear facer when she's big enough.

TruthSweet Thu 14-Jul-11 15:05:33

We fitted them ourselves (Britax TWE, Nordic Secura & First Class) but had the FC tested in our car at the Essex In Car Safety Centre in Raileigh (I think that's what it is called!) before buying it and had the fitting of the other two checked. We (ahem DH) fitted them correctly grin

Just to say though when you get the seat fitted ask the fitter to talk you through what they do when they install the seat/uninstall the seat and then you fit the seat yourself with the fitter checking it afterwards.

There is no point to having the seat fitted perfectly by a fitter if you don't know how to un-install/re-fit the seat safely, because you will need to take it out at some point for some reason (having car valeted, carrying something large enough to need the back seats taken out, etc, etc)

pookamoo Thu 14-Jul-11 18:27:13

Also, if you contact your local fire station, they will be able to check that you have fitted the seat correctly. You usually have to make an appointment, but you take your car along with the seat fitted and they will check it for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now