Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Find me a new group 1 (for 20mnth old) car seat that is ultra safe and doesn't need isofix....

(13 Posts)
Icoulddoitbetter Sun 03-Jul-11 16:44:46

Hi all,

I recently posted about the issues I had with My Kiddy Energy Pro car seat that DS can now get himself out of. I bought this on the strength of the Which? review, and looking on there all the recommended seats that don't use Isofix are Kiddy ones that use the same impact cushion, with one other imapct cushion brand too (with a review that a toddler can break out of it!). So, they are no good.

I could get Isofix in the car but I'd rather not have to spend more money, especially as I have a redundant £170 car seat. So I'd like a belted seat that is safe and comfy. I'd like to get one asap (which would be the other issue with needing Isofix) too. A friend has very very kindly lent me one but I need to give it back soon, and I need to use the car with DS in at least 4 days a week.

So, what do I buy????

BTW, I have a Ford Focus (2009). Thanks!

sazm Sun 03-Jul-11 20:03:32

if you go onto the maxi-cosi website and also the britax one they have 'fit finders' which should tell you which of their seats fit your car best smile

aswellasyou Sun 03-Jul-11 20:48:01

If you really want ultra safe, you should get an extended rear facing seat.
I don't know about the safest 5 point harness forward facing seats, but you should be looking for good side impact protection as this isn't a requirement and so lots of normal seats aren't great in a side impact crash.
Assuming there's nothing wrong with your seat, you may as well try to sell it to recoup some of your money.

Icoulddoitbetter Sun 03-Jul-11 20:49:43

Any recommendations for rear facing seats? I haven't found any reviews for them.

JuneMummy Sun 03-Jul-11 20:56:13

i have the britax two way elite stage 1 rearfacing but can be forward facing too. It harneeses up to 25kgs aswell so acts as a great booster seat later on. you can buy it from the incarsafety centre in milton keynes. I think the car seat that they use on youtube for the rear v forward seats is a two way elite so worth a look.

JuneMummy Sun 03-Jul-11 20:57:58

I think there is a car seat review page on here somewhere for rearfacing seats if that helps.

Loopymumsy Sun 03-Jul-11 20:58:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loopymumsy Sun 03-Jul-11 20:59:48

cleanandclothed Sun 03-Jul-11 21:14:06

I have the Britax 2 way elite too. Expect it to last until DS is 3.5ish rear facing, and another year forward facing.

SmallBlue Sun 03-Jul-11 21:15:57

OP I have the kiddy pro seat for my 20 month old. Can't imagine my Ds being able to break out of his. Sorry you've had issues. I recommend maxi cosi.

aswellasyou Sun 03-Jul-11 21:24:59

My experience of rear facers:
BeSafe Izi Combi X2 birth-18kg: Fairly complicated to fit at first but makes sense once you've done it. Fairly short so fits a lot of cars. Sits high up so baby has a good view out the back window, be careful it's not going to block driver's view though. Nice and comfy but doesn't recline enough for my liking, not a big deal for an older child like yours.

Klippan Kiss 2 (also sold as an Akta Graco Duologic II) birth-18kg: Pretty short and narrower than others. Has a really good recline. Not too complicated to fit and has both isofix and seatbelt fittings. Really very comfy for baby. I'm really impressed with this seat but I find the removeable infant carrier useful, which you wouldn't be likely to use assuming your son's heavier than 10kg. Version 1 would do you, I'm sure, and it's cheaper if you can find them.

Maxi Cosi Mobi 9-25kg: Basically a Priori turned round (my sister bought a Priori summer cover and it fits perfectly). Recline is really good. Takes up a long space so not for small cars. Loads of legroom. No extra cushioning but I don't think it matters much for a child of 9kg upwards. Ridiculously simple to fit.

lenats31 Sat 09-Jul-11 16:35:17

We can give you some names of car seats but you must do most pf the work yourself. Make an appointment with a retailer, so they will have some time to show you some seats in your car. That´s the safest way to buy a car seat no matter which one.

Rearfacing is safer than forward facing any time and in any car.

onetwothreefourfive Sat 09-Jul-11 19:31:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now