Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Can a 9mo move into a stage 1 carseat if under 9kg??

(8 Posts)
fruitychicken Mon 20-Jun-11 16:40:51

My DD is very long but although she's not 9months yet, she is unlikely to be 9kg by the time she is unless she starts packing on the pounds!!! We have already bought her next carseat as we got it on sale. It's a maxi cosi tobi. I'm a bit confused about exactly when we can move her on!!

LIZS Mon 20-Jun-11 16:41:55

No , the weight is the key factor.

Catilla Mon 20-Jun-11 16:43:47

Wait until her head is past the top of the old seat... the biggest danger in the next stage seat is whiplash as their necks are so delicate.

RitaMorgan Mon 20-Jun-11 16:44:11

No, they have to be over 9 months AND over 9kg. Their necks aren't strong enough before then and could snap in a crash in a forward facing seat.

movingsoon Mon 20-Jun-11 16:46:54

no legs being bent is not a problem, she is much, much much safer rf. Please keep her in there as long as you possibly can.

sazm Mon 20-Jun-11 16:47:40

i wouldnt move her for a good while yet,if she is under the weight for it its very unsafe. She should stay in her infant seat until she is the weight limit for it(usually 13kg) ,or when her head is over the top of the seat.
the carseat has passed the safety tests with a minimum weight of 9kg in it,so if she is lighter,it may not work properly.

fruitychicken Mon 20-Jun-11 17:56:33

Thanks!! You have all said what I suspected anyway but just the way some websites advertise them they give the age thing too. Would probably be better if they only gave weight limits! She will be staying in her cabriofix for the foreseeable future!!!!

sazm Mon 20-Jun-11 22:03:21

yup,its not easy, i now know i moved my first son (now 7yo) to forward facing too early,his head was over the top of his seat at 7 months and we borrowed my nephews infant carrier as it was longer,until he was 9 months and 20lbs, if i had known i would have bought a birth-4y seat so he could stay rearfacing for longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now