Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help, I've got a big baby and I'm clueless!

(16 Posts)
CakeyLee Sun 19-Jun-11 10:27:38

Hi everyone,

I have a maxi-cosi car seat which we've used from newborn. My son is only 12 weeks but weighs in at 16lb. He's within the height and weight restrictions of the seat but it's like trying to pop a cork getting him out of it as he is solidly built. Is this OK? Should I leave him in this as its OK he is snug in there or should I be looking to get another seat? As he is so snug in there he also gets really hot so not looking forward to the summer in it!

From looking online the next car seats seem to be from 9 months-ish or 32lb, can anyone recommend an inbetween? I've enjoyed the maxi-cosi as it fits on my Quinny pram base.

Thanks in advance!
Sarah smile

aswellasyou Sun 19-Jun-11 11:19:18

To be honest, I'm finding this hard to understand. At 12 weeks and 16lb ther is no way he should be too big for his seat in any way. The seat is suitable up to 13kg/28lb and a lot of babies stay in them until a good 15 months. Have you removed the insert? I can't remember what it's like now but you might need to buy a seperate head hugger as his neck won't be particularly strong.
Definitely do not put him in a forward facing seat before he can sit up unaided for half an hour. Even then, I wouldn't do it personally. You could try him in other seats in a shop to see how they compare size-wise. My Graco Junior Baby was very spacious.

mouseanon Sun 19-Jun-11 11:29:24

That doesn't sound right. My Ds was 18lb at 4 months, I remember because we went on holiday and did a lot of walking and I had to carry the lump in a sling. He stayed in his maxi cosi until 9 months (ish can't remember exactly). I think the design may have changed a bit. Our seat had an adjuster on the bottom to deepen it once he reached a certain weight. I think newer ones have an insert to take out? Also he shouldn't need the headhugger at 12 weeks. Taking that out will give more room. Do the shoulder straps need moving up?

If he really is too big for it you'll need to look at the 0-4 seats that are fixed in the car and can be switched to forward facing when the baby is old enough and big enough.

fairimum Sun 19-Jun-11 12:54:19

Have you taken the foam insert out of the head hugger bit? if you take the head hugger out then you should be able to remove the foam from the back and then put it back in? Or if he doesn't need the head hugger then you could take it out all together. I would use it as long as possible as having to wake them to take them out of the car is a total nightmare!

other option is something like this - www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_800311_langId_-1_categoryId_165763 which we have used and will keep DS rearfacing until at least 18 months - but he didn't go into it until 12 months, but I know friends who have used them from birth, but know they hated that they had to wake them to get out of the car!

Fingers crossed take the head hugger out gives you a few more months at least though smile

sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 19-Jun-11 14:22:32

Britax first class is a great seat but I think you'll fund your DS will fit in the maxi cosi ages longer. Is the headhugger and booster still in? make sure they are out and the straps are at the top. DD was in her til she was 15/12 and even then she still fitted easily in it she just wanted to see out more so we got her a besafe izi combi (which would be a good option for you if you really need to replace the maxicosi as it's RF to 18kg)

CakeyLee Sun 19-Jun-11 18:51:03

Hi all, thanks for responses. I know it sounds strange. I've taken the head hugger out already. Don't think there's a booster in there but I'll have a look and take it out if there is. It's round his waist and arms that it's tight, around his legs is fine. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks smile

aswellasyou Sun 19-Jun-11 21:31:22

do you mean that the seat itself is narrow? If that's the case, I'd look at other wider group 0 seats, or a group 0-1 seat like a Maxi Cosi Opal, Graco Junior Mini, Britax First Class, or a seat that rear faces from birth to 18kg like a BeSafe Izi Combi or Klippan Kiss.

MrsJamin Sun 19-Jun-11 21:33:55

If you've only taken the head higher out it totally sounds like you still have the wedge bit still in. Remove this and he will be fine.

MrsJamin Sun 19-Jun-11 21:36:13

*hugger

Loopymumsy Mon 20-Jun-11 09:42:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aswellasyou Mon 20-Jun-11 11:19:27

They have the BeSafe Izi Combi for £200 at both Pauk Stride and Mumstore. Or, as Loopy has suggested, you could get a rear facing seat from 9kg to 25kg. I'd look at the Volvo rebranded MultiTech at £130 from Volvo dealerships.

aswellasyou Mon 20-Jun-11 11:20:11

Paul, not Pauk!

CakeyLee Mon 20-Jun-11 19:34:46

Thank you so much!! Yes the foam wedge was taken out before head hugger so it literally is just the seat now. Yes it's too narrow or so it seems. I think i'll get the health visitor to look at him in it incase I'm wrong and he's got enough room, it's really hard to get him out though, cosy is an understatement! I'll then look at these seats. Was hoping the next seat would be one that could go FF when he's old enough so certainly sounds like some of these would be perfect.

Thanks for your time smile

saoirse86 Tue 28-Jun-11 12:37:40

TBH I think it sounds like he should be fine. My DD is 9 months and about 21lb and still fits in her maxi cosi cabrio fine. As it happens I now have her in a maxi cosi mobi most of the time, but I do occasionally put her in the group 0 seat and she's fine. Plenty of room on the sides and still room above her head. It might just be your perception of how he looks in it IYSWIM. The biggest problem I found with the stage 0 seat was carrying her in it! hmm wink

Something like this might help as it's suitable till 25kgs but can stay rear facing till 10kg and has plenty of room for a big baby.

Or this one is rear facing till 13kg, forward facing till 18kg.

Ideally those extended rear facers aswell linked to would be great and the safest option for your LO.

DialsMavis Mon 11-Jul-11 22:05:11

I have done all of this baby bit before but have totally forgotten the rules! Do I need to move DD up to the next stage car seat (from Maxi Cosi Cabriofix) when her head reaches the top of the seat?

DialsMavis Mon 11-Jul-11 22:10:20

aghh i meant to start my own thread, as you were. sorry grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now