Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Best Car Seat for a Newborn

(10 Posts)
catgirl1976 Sun 05-Jun-11 18:17:45

Hi

Would reallyappreciate any advice as am rather overwhelmed by the choice! I am a first time mum to be.

Looking for a car seat in the 0+ group but have no idea whats best...safety comes first, then I guess ease of use, then looks.....price isnt a huge issue but they seem to vary so much I have no idea if you really do "get what pay for" in this category, or if buying an expensive one or sticking to a brand name is just getting ripped off.

Any help at all much appreciated

aswellasyou Sun 05-Jun-11 20:47:12

Here's my experience of group 0 seats...

Graco Junior Baby: definitely my favourite, has an insert that grows with the baby, good shape, nicely padded, great safety reviews, cheaper than most.

Silver Cross Ventura Plus: great for newborns, comfy looking, comes with a footmuff, sometimes seems too reclined for an older baby, hood gets in the way of the seatbelt.

Maxi Cosi Cabriofix: great for attaching to loads of pushchairs, lightweight, not that comfy, hood only goes fully up or completely down, overrated in my opinion, expensive.

M&P Primo Viaggio: rubbish! too upright, no neck support, worst newborn seat possible.

It also depends on whether or not you think you'll want to put the car seat onto a pushchair. A lot of people claim it's essential to be able to do this, but I have never once needed/wanted to and my daughter's 8 and a half months old.

catgirl1976 Sun 05-Jun-11 21:18:41

Thanks aswellas...not bothered about attaching it to a pushchair!

Will have a look at the Graco one smile

SecretNutellaFix Sun 05-Jun-11 21:26:56

Maxi Cosi pebble. Impossible to fit incorrectly.

Maxi Cosi cabriofix

Britax Babysafe

All of the above can be used with bases if you discover that they will not fit in your car. Also a good idea if you have a 3 door car.

lovetheoneyourewith Sun 05-Jun-11 21:29:11

I had the M and P primo viaggio and it is very upright and no neck support. Both of my babies were whoppers so it wasn't as much of a problem for me but I can imagine if they had been tiny (which I consider around the 7 pounds mark to be!) then it wouldn't have been very good.

I've always though the maxi cosi cabriofix looks far nicer.

justforinfo Sun 05-Jun-11 23:12:07

The Maxi Cosi Cabriofix (used with the base) got the only 'excellent' rating on the which? best buy, it also performed better than most in crash tests, would definately recommend getting a base with it too

sazm Mon 06-Jun-11 16:30:57

i have had a chicco infant seat,a graco autobaby and a maxi-cosi cabrio,
the maxi cosi was by far my favourite - easy to fit,fits on either the isofix or non-isofix base,fits on most pushchairs,very lightweight,lays flatter than most for a newborn, my lo was very comfy in his,

catgirl1976 Mon 06-Jun-11 18:09:44

Thanks all - Maxi-cosi cabrio is looking like a winner

Can I ask a really dumb question? What's a base for?

Sorry - first timer!

SecretNutellaFix Mon 06-Jun-11 18:24:32

The base means that you don't need to arse around with the seatbelt every time you put it in the car.

You fix the base into position with either ISOFIX points or the car seatbelt and it stays in position in the car, just clipping the infant carseat on and off the base each time.

Using a correctly fitted base means that it will always be secure, whereas sometimes when using the belt alone, if you aren't paying full attention, it is easy to not fit the car seat correctly or tightly enough in the car.

One of my colleagues had been fitting her children's infant seats incorrectly for 8 years before she realised.

catgirl1976 Mon 06-Jun-11 20:24:31

Brilliant - thanks

There is so much to learn!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: