Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

slim car seats?

(7 Posts)
hmmSleep Tue 04-Jan-11 22:39:53

After spending weeks pondering over whether to trade in our seat altea for a bigger car, (which we can't really afford to do)we are now wondering if there are any car seats that would squeeze into our existing car.

We have a 5 year old, 3 year old and a 10 week old baby, currently in a high backed booster, second stage car seat and infant carrier. At the moment we are having to sit the 3 year old in the front and either I or Dh have to squeeze in the back between the other 2 seats, not ideal.

Our 3 year old would probably be big enough to fit a high backed booster now too, so do any of you know if there is a narrower car seat available, (other than the multimac) which would allow us to squeeze them all in the back?

Thank you!

hatwoman Tue 04-Jan-11 22:43:05

someone invented a sort of bench car seat thing - so you can get 3 kids across the back. I can't remember if he ever got it to market though. I'm sure google will know.

apparently it's legal to have a third child in the back without a seat if a thrid seat won't fit (according to dh)

hmmSleep Tue 04-Jan-11 22:49:25

Thanks hatwoman. Think it's the multimac you're thinking of, something we're cosidering but quite expensive and a bit permanent. Not really happy with the idea of no carseat from a safety point of view.

hackneyzoo Tue 04-Jan-11 22:56:16

We can fit our 3 year old, 2 year old and baby accross the back safely in our Focus in the following:

Maxi Cosi Rodi High back Booster
Britax Eclispe second stage seat
Britax baby safe infant seat

We ended up going to the Essex In car safety Centre and they found a combination that worked for us , would really recommend them if you are anywhere near.

hmmSleep Wed 05-Jan-11 07:43:20

Thank you hackneyzoo, nowhere near Essex, but I'll see if there's somewhere similar near us.

sazm Wed 05-Jan-11 21:08:28

i can fit my 3 in a focus/astra/mgzr/corsa/vectra

i had baby in a maxi-cosi cabriofix (in the middle), and a britax hi-liner (also known as a britax adventure) on either side for my 3yo and 5yo.
we now have a britax eclipse instead of the cabriofix as ds is 2yo.

hmmSleep Thu 06-Jan-11 08:14:13

Thanks sazm, will check them out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: