Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing car seats. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

should new borns lie flat?

(14 Posts)
sonia121 Tue 04-Jan-11 01:06:02

All
I am expecting my first child in March and looking for a suitable car seat. I had selected the maxi cosi cabriofix as the best option as it fits into a number of different travel systems and buggies that I am also interested in buying. However came across an article that says that new borns should lie flat to prevent back and breathing problems and so should never be kept in a curved car seat such as maxi cosi for more than 2 hours a day and ideally 1 hour. In London it can take more than that to get from A to B in traffic and so am wondering whether it is better to get the britax baby sleeper? however this would be very expensive as I would then need to change it again potentially when the baby is 4-5 months old and wants to see out. any advice would be much appreciated!!

nappyaddict Tue 04-Jan-11 01:35:22

Whatever you do don't get the Jane matrix one. www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWq6U77Jphc&NR=1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYeJjBEvj9g

nappyaddict Tue 04-Jan-11 01:40:29

The Britax Babysafe one is meant to be good though.

bronze Tue 04-Jan-11 01:41:28

bear in mind they tend to take up two seats

nappyaddict Tue 04-Jan-11 01:43:03

www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/baby-safe-infant -carriers

www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/baby-safe-sleepe r

Loopymumsy Wed 05-Jan-11 22:07:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DancingThroughLife Thu 06-Jan-11 23:13:31

We've just done exactly what Loopy suggests.

DD still has growing room in her sleeper, but she's raising her head now, trying to sit up and it's dislodging the restraints from her shoulders. We've just bought a BeSafe Izi Combi which will last until she's at least 4 (going on weights). She's 7 months now, not 10kg yet.

We bought the Sleeper as we had booked a (driving) holiday in France before we found out I was pregnant, and we didn't fancy stopping for an hour every two hours, on a 12 hour drive, if we didn't absolutely have to.

We love it, as does DD. It is also suitable for overnight sleeping, so you don't have to take a travel cot with you. And it fits on the Britax pushchair wheels, so you don't have to buy the carrycot attachment for that either.

Also, the baby won't know anything different, so the view is a moot point. However, DD has a perfect view straight out of the window, doesn't have to turn her head - the world is quite literally at her feet grin

If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to show you.

Sorry for longness of the post blush

SecretNutellaFix Thu 06-Jan-11 23:18:46

I would say that the rear facing is safest of all. Just because it keeps the baby's head, neck and back in a straight line.

Starisonthetree Thu 06-Jan-11 23:28:12

We had a sleeper from M&P 11 years ago, glad to hear there is a new version.
I chose it as there were then reports from Australia that car seats (which had been introduced 16 plus years before) were thought to be the rise in the number of teenagers with curved spines.
I never saw any written reports, but it made sense to me.
If you do have the normal car seat, you could make the best of it by only ever using it for the car and being very good about removing your baby the moment you arrived.
Its the huge number of babies I see in car seats, in the shops, at home, at friends that make me worry
my problem I hope rather than theirs!
If I ever have another baby it will be a sleeper again for us

cat64 Thu 06-Jan-11 23:35:47

Message withdrawn

Starisonthetree Thu 06-Jan-11 23:41:10

what cat said makes more sense than my ramble...

nappyaddict Fri 07-Jan-11 19:18:16

cat64 And added to that a lot of these new rear facing pushchair seats are bucket seats where you don't recline the backrest into an almost flat position you tilt the whole seat backwards.

Starisonthetree Fri 07-Jan-11 19:43:56

Have seen Mamas and Papas have a version now as well, vastly reduced in price...

nappyaddict Fri 07-Jan-11 21:00:45

Does anyone have the which report for the M&P one?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: