Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

how long rf in britax first class????

(11 Posts)

I want to get the britax 2 way elite but can't afford it at the moment and can't get it fitted.

DD is currently 12 months 8.9k, going on average centiles that would mean she would hit 13k after 2 years I think.

Does this mean she could rf in the first class till she hits that weight target? Does height have any issue as to when you have to turn it round? Or does it have to forward face from 9k?

This would give me long enough to save and buy the TWE if it will last a year?

TIA and if you have a first class how long did you use it RF?

TruthSweet Tue 28-Dec-10 21:43:06

You can use the seat rfing until the child hits 13kg or until they out grow the straps. Feet against back of seat isn't an issue smile

I've got two FC (one as a spare ffing seat for DD2 (3.1y/o 101cm & 14.7kg) and one as DD3's main rfing seat (she is 14m/o 73cm & 8.5kg).

DD2 fitted rfing in the FC until she was very nearly 2y/o when she hit the weight limit. She is still rfing in a Britax Nordic Secura which has the same seat shell as a FC but has a different base (it's a rfing only 9-25kg seat) so if you have a light but tall DD she could well go to 3 in it.

It can be a pain though feeding a child through under the shoulder part of the seat belt (seat belt wraps around the back of the FC as part of the install) so if you can put your DD in from the other side of the car, then that may be easiest in the long run.

Oh, we have a TWE as well for DD1 (4.9y/o, 113cm & 20kg) and it's a really nice seat. DD1 can no longer rf in it but only because she is exceptionally leggy and we have 3 across in the back of our car so she has nowhere to put her legs - not a safety issue just she isn't at all comfortable with her knees up her nose! If we had a 7 seater she would still fit rfing in the TWE so not the seat's problem just the situation of leggy child & not enough space either side of the seat for her legs.

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Tue 28-Dec-10 21:49:10

I agree with TS - DS is in a First Class in his Dad's car, and his head is still way under the top (he's 2.2) he would be under the weight limit as well as when he was last weighed he was only 12.6kg, but his dad insists on using it FF.

oh brilliant, thankyou! So it is still an option then smile. DD is tiny so I think at present this might be my best option as I can afford £80 for the First Class, but not £200 yet for the twe sad

nicm Tue 28-Dec-10 22:39:37

could you not keep your dd in her baby carrier while you save? means you won't have to pay out twice. most baby seats last to 13kgs. apparently the britax multitech is sold by volvo for £165. i read it on the rf website a while ago and it will last to 25kgs as well.

I can't get the multitech in my mums polo apparently, and dd is literally about to reach the top of her current carrier. I thought it was just me, but apparently this model is very low.

I know it seems a false economy buying two, but I had the money nearly all saved and then the fridge went kaput last week grin - so I have to start again.

TruthSweet Wed 29-Dec-10 16:46:03

Well, if you end up getting the FC then the TWE you have a spare to put in your mum's/friends cars and for emergency trips in taxis etc. So even if you can't use it rfing past 13kg, it will get used - it's really quick to install ffing takes me less than two minutes and has built in lock offs ffing so is rock solid.

Very useful having spare seats - I have 6 car seats for 3 children as 3 are permenantly installed in DH's car and 3 are stored in a cupboard indoors for the inevitable trips to hospital in a taxi......

Just as a FYI do you have locking/retracting seat belts in the rear of your car? If you pull out the seat belt all the way and then let it retract does it then lock at the new shorter length? If it does you will be able to get a really good install but if it doesn't it may be a bit sloppy.

DD2 would have gone in her FC rear facing a bit longer in Grandma's car but I took the view that a sloppy install rfing was worse than a tight install ffing in a nearly 2 y/o (she went to Grandma's when DD3 was born and she was about 12.8kg and 22m/o). It was a horrid decision though.

pozzled Wed 29-Dec-10 16:50:08

We have a Britax First Class. DD is 2.4 and she still goes rear-facing (apart from once or twice in a friend's car when it's been more difficult to fit it that way). I don't intend to switch to FF until she hits 13kg- should be a few months yet based on her current weight.

Thankyou for all the advice it looks like I will get at least a year out the first plus so will look out for a good deal, and truthsweet it is an excellent point about keeping it as a spare, I don't have a car but have had to borrow one from a neoighbour in a previous hospital emergency ..... After dh took mine on holiday to the the airport terminal carpark! hmm

HappySkiingGardeningNewYear Thu 30-Dec-10 11:43:04

Was jst looking at car seats and Halfords are doing the first class for 89.99 if you buy it online. It's the best price I've seen so thought I'd mention it. Off to buy one now.....

oooh will have a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now