Talk

Advanced search

New Forest area - quiet campsite needed ...

(8 Posts)
KBear Fri 29-Jul-05 12:22:03

...so we don't make fools of ourselves taking 8 hours to put up a tent.

Anyone know somewhere quiet, no clubhouses, just a field and nice toilets and a pub within walking distance for dinner (breaking myself in gently to this camping lark, starting with eating out!).

spidermama Fri 29-Jul-05 12:27:02

Tom's field. I only have 'women's directions' iyswim.

Everyone knows Sandy Balls campsite ... well for Tom's field (a small field with a few standpipes and a shower and loo portocabin) come out of SandyBalls, turn left, drive for about a mile and it's on your left. Easy to miss so look out for it.

I loved it there. Very wild. We saw deer really close by. It's also cheap and close to some highly climbable old oaks.

Ohhhhhh! I'm sooo jealous now. Why did I read this post?

dinny Fri 29-Jul-05 12:41:09

sounds lovely, Spidermama - do you know if there is any chance of finding any campsite you can book for just a weekend (the bank holiday one) in August...they all seem to say just turn up before (like, the Wednesday before!)

otto Fri 29-Jul-05 13:01:32

Dinny - there's a website called UKCampsite that lists them. You can often book by email. In my experience most of them suggest you book rather than turn up. I've heard very good things about Tom's field too, but I know you can't book that one.

KBear Sun 31-Jul-05 08:59:51

Tom's field seems perfect spidermama - thanks

basketcase Sun 31-Jul-05 09:04:06

dinny - after spending a lot of time and energy trying to book a campsite for August bank holiday I recommend you book - loads of places are already booked up. I am a little fussy about campsites - don’t like them too big and like a Butlins place but not too small or remote so that there is at least decent showers, hot and cold water, level pitches etc.
We found somewhere after phoning quite a few - a Forestry Commission site - recommend them too for nice sites
Book now or you may feel disappointed driving around and around on the weekend.

KBear Mon 01-Aug-05 20:56:08

DH not keen on Tom's Field - a little too basic for him!! Anyone got any other names of campsites to try around the New Forest or south coast areas? There are so many on the web it's blowing my mind.

Surfermum Mon 01-Aug-05 21:08:56

There's St Leonard's Farm at St Leonard's, just near Ringwood. I haven't stayed there for a long time, but spoke to someone who did a couple of weeks ago and they had no complaints.

I've stayed at Osmington Mills too, which is near Weymouth. If you stayed in the fields at the top of the site you're well away from the clubhouse and the Smugglers pub (walkable) is well worth a visit.

I've found UKCampsite's website really useful for recommendations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now