Talk

Advanced search

has anyone ever taken a dog camping?

(21 Posts)
lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 14:53:33

what do you think, will it be a nightmare?

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 14:54:33

No. The perfect forum for dogs. Mine LOVED it. Obviously check with the campsite though.

Cha Wed 06-Jul-05 15:02:48

Our dog LOVES it, more than anyone else actually. You have to check that the campsite allows dogs and if it's near a beach, whether dogs are allowed on it in the summer months. Some people get a bit arsy (understandably) when he pees on their guy ropes or worse, craps by their tents, so you have to make sure you keep an eye out and take lots of poo bags. If your dog is reasonably well behaved ie doesn't fight, run off, bite small children, there is no reason why it won't be fun for everyone. Sleeping arrangements could be unpleasant if you don't have a very big tent however - especially if you have a farty hound like ours. He sleeps in the front awning on a rug.

beatie Wed 06-Jul-05 15:09:32

I was camping in the New Forest last weekend and there were loads of dogs there. People seemed to attach them by a long lead to a stake in the ground. This particular campsite had a no dogs area, but the places where dogs were allowed was bigger.

Where are you planning to camp?

beatie Wed 06-Jul-05 15:09:32

I was camping in the New Forest last weekend and there were loads of dogs there. People seemed to attach them by a long lead to a stake in the ground. This particular campsite had a no dogs area, but the places where dogs were allowed was bigger.

Where are you planning to camp?

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 15:11:50

tarifa,spain. the campsite allows dogs but i just wonder if she will keep stiil or bark at every other dog in sight.

fifilala Wed 06-Jul-05 16:10:20

Always take ours - but check with campsite, occasiionally a £1 charge per night, and often require them to be tethered down.- we got out tether stick from Asda, only about two quid in the camping section

Blu Wed 06-Jul-05 16:13:17

Cha, we fellow campers can get a bit 'arsy' if your dog barks all night, too! And they seem to - excited by new surroundings and nightime sounds, I think.

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 16:18:53

blu, thats what i'm worrying about. The campsite we are going to puts all the pets in the same area but I dont know how near or far it is to other campers. We had such a good holiday there last year but I feel guilty about leaving the dog. We are going for a long weekend, about 5 days and dont know the next time we will be able to go for more than a few days due to dh's job.

Blu Wed 06-Jul-05 16:41:21

I think if you go in the dog section, and put the dog in with you (farts and all) for re-assurance it will be ok, won't it?

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 16:58:50

I think so, just a bit worried that she is going to bark constantly because of the other dogs.

Fio2 Wed 06-Jul-05 17:01:28

i have took ours and yes sometimes they do bark at other dogs

purpleturtle Wed 06-Jul-05 17:02:47

took a tortoise once

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 19:12:18

bet s/he was quiet hahaha

dizzymama Wed 06-Jul-05 19:14:02

I Have, word of warning,don't forget the dog food and end up having to feed him baked beans and sausages for the first night........... very very smelly! He loved it by the way, only problem was his breaking out of the tent to chase a sheep, but that only happened once when I hadn't been watching him properly!

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 19:41:32

I cant make my mind up. is the whole holiday going to be overtaken by what we can/can't do with the dog. Then again how will the dog react if we leave her for 5 days, shes a rescue dog and a bit needy. I've got someone who will walk her and feed her but she will be on her own the majority of the time. I know this isnt the most important issue in the world but it's worrying me.

Ellbell Wed 06-Jul-05 20:01:25

Lucy
I've done it in the past, and have left the dog in the back of the car (obviously with windows down for air) overnight. He was fine with that, and obviously couldn't get out and wasn't disturbed by nighttime sounds, etc. It was a small-ish dog and a biggish estate car, so plenty of room. Get a travel water bowl (i.e. one that can't be knocked over) so that s/he can have a drink.
I'd go for it. I'm sure it'll be fine.

nannyjo Wed 06-Jul-05 20:03:55

we did it when i was 6 months pregnant. Dog slept in the tent with us on her bed (quite a large tent that fitted the three of us nicely) dog learnt to push her nose at the zip and push her way out so we had to tie the zips together but other than that it worked fantastically.

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 22:35:20

well i think I'm going to take her but i'm nervous thst it's going to be stressful.

redsky Wed 06-Jul-05 22:42:36

Our dog found it difficult to settle in the tent. It was windy and the tent sides were flapping and the dog just couldn't relax. In the end we put him in the car and he was a very happy camper there.

lucy5 Wed 06-Jul-05 22:56:29

redsky, thats my backup, its dh who really wants to take the dog, so somebody will be kipping in the car if there's any nonsense, hahaha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now