Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been to either of these sites in Cornwall (St Austell and Land's End)?

(13 Posts)
sweetnitanitro Mon 24-Aug-09 15:44:25

I've never done this before blush we are renting a motorhome in late September and I am just about to book the campsites (hope I haven't left it too late! I figured off-season would be quiet).

These are the ones I am thinking of booking-

Carlyon Bay

Trevedra Farm

but there is also this one near Land's End-

Seaview

We are camping site virgins with a 10 mo DD so if anyone has any tips then please let me know!

ZippysMum Mon 24-Aug-09 15:59:33

Hi,
This is our neck of the woods so I can advise on local beaches etc near Seaview. Don't know about the campsite except it seems like it would have a lot of good facilities etc (it seems very well set up).

Lands End itself is a complete waste of money IMO, but nearby are some beautiful places and they won't be too busy in September. I can highly recommend Sennen beach website here which has a really lovely restaurant as well as surf school, decent loos etc.

The Gurnards Head is a really nice, child-friendly gastropub (nice for lunches especially).

Porthcurno beach is also really lovely, with good facilities and the Minack Theatre right next door. There are also beautiful walks to be had if you have a baby backpack some walking ideas here.

Hope that helps - it really is a beautiful part of the country!!

MaggieLeo Mon 24-Aug-09 16:01:57

St Austell's was the only town in cornwall that underwhelmed me. THe view of the bay from the town is nice, but the town is a bit blah.

I'd stay somewhere else if you can.

Most of the towns are gorgeous though.

ZippysMum Mon 24-Aug-09 16:12:00

Hi again,

DH has just pointed out that if you have a pushchair, it is only about a 20 min walk along the pavement to Land's End (you can get into the site free if you don't have a car). That way you can see Longships lighthouse and the views etc without getting fleeced for parking etc! Paths are wide and suitable for pushchairs all through the Lands End site.

He also says the Little Barn Cafe is close to the campsite and worth a visit, especially for a cream tea!

sweetnitanitro Mon 24-Aug-09 16:13:41

I don't think we're going into St austell but we'd like to go to the Eden Project and Heligan so I searched for camp sites nearby.

Zippy'sMum, thanks so much for those links!

sweetnitanitro Mon 24-Aug-09 16:14:49

And thanks to Zippy'sMum's DH, we will have a pushchair so we can get in for free! grin

ZippysMum Mon 24-Aug-09 16:21:28

Eden Project is about 1 1/2 hrs from here, Heligan a bit further. Both great - Heligan slightly less well set up for pushchairs as I remember, but utterly lovely nonetheless. Eden Project a bit pricy - and wear layers, it is boiling in the tropics biome!

DH now recommending that if you go up to St Austell for both of those, might be worth spending one night up there - maybe en route - to save driving time. Eden is def. a whole day trip, Heligan maybe slightly less (though is 6 years since we went and may be more to see now) - look out for the mossy lady! wink

Oooh, I'm hankering back for the days when we came down on hols and still did the tourist bit!! grin

ZippysMum Mon 24-Aug-09 16:31:36

rs Mossy at the Lost Gardens of Heligan

FantasticMissFox Mon 24-Aug-09 18:10:25

I stayed at Trevedra Farm in June and it was amazing- the views from the camping fields are beautiful. Showers were suprisingly good-better than they look from the outside! There is also a free freezer for your ice blocks. Agree with the advice for Lands End- defo better to walk than drive and pay for car parking. HTH

JRocks Mon 24-Aug-09 18:14:29

Would just like to second The Gurnards Head, it's bloody lovely food, and we go there far too often!

And yes, while the Eden Project looks close on a map, getting anywhere down here takes all day at this time of year. (including to hospital to antenatal appointments, grrrr!)

PandaG Tue 25-Aug-09 20:05:13

we stayed at Tregarton Park - 5 mins from Heligan. lovely site - small but well maintained swimming pool, small but useful shop and takeaway, spotless loos and hot showers. can heartily recommend.

agree re St Austell itself - we were underwhelmed! Fowey and Megavissey nice to potter around

sweetnitanitro Tue 25-Aug-09 21:59:55

Thanks everyone for your tips grin I am so looking forward to this much needed holiday!

I went to Heligan last week and it was very good, spent about 4 hours there. Wouldn't say it was a full day. We camped in Devon though and drove over there one day so no idea on those campsites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now