Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about tarps - what to buy and how to pitch

(5 Posts)
MollieO Sun 23-Aug-09 18:46:35

If it hadn't been for MrsDoolittle's hugenormous tent this weekend I would have got very wet. Until I sort out a tent with a porch area what tarp should I get to keep me dry whilst I cook and lounge around on my arse chair?

Slubberdegullion Sun 23-Aug-09 19:17:09

We have a tatonka Tarp (recomendation from ukcs.)

This w/e we had it set up a bit like a ridge tent (second picture in the link), but I have also had it up like the 2nd piccie here, up on 4 poles for a sun shade. I've also had it with two poles on one side and the other side angled dawn and pegged so it's more like a windshield iyswim.

The tatonka is really small and comes in a dinky little bag. I pinched the poles from a crapperama tarp I got from aldi last year. The tatonka telescopic poles look fab (but are expensive I think)

I think Obelink do reasonably priced polycotton tarps too.

Slubberdegullion Sun 23-Aug-09 19:35:32

The quechua tarp is pretty good value too.

I saw this on the beach a couple of weeks ago, pitched over the top of one of their beach pop ups. It looked great, really snug inside even if it did take all 4 members of the family about 45mins to attach it to the ground in the high winds.

MollieO Sun 23-Aug-09 21:08:02

Thx Slubber. I like the one you've got. I need something for when it rains as our current tent doesn't have anywhere to sit (other than on the sleeping bags).

prettyponies Sun 23-Aug-09 21:26:24

We have an Outwell one, great for very still weather, but blows down with depressing regularity in anything approaching a stiff breeze. Now that we have a reasonable sized tent with a canopy, we don't bother with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now