Talk

Advanced search

Nice campsites in Bournemouth please

(16 Posts)
Holymoly321 Sun 23-Aug-09 17:35:49

We're going to go to Bournemouth for our first ever camping trip - woohoo! We're thinking of going in early October. It'll DH and I and our two DS's who will be 4 and (nearly) 2. Can anyone recommend a nice site, not too far from stuff we can do with the boys? Preferably a campsite that is not going to put us off camping! TIA

IUsedToBePeachy Sun 23-Aug-09 18:10:32

Gow far out from Burnemouth? We commute over from Sandy Balls but it is a drive.

Have you looked at UK campsite? They have reviews and everything

Erm, are you tenting it?

Alambil Mon 24-Aug-09 01:09:07

holmsely new forest (forest holidays) is 20 mins from bournemouth and nice.... fenced off from ponies but you can still hear them and get to them over the styles etc if you wanted to!

Holymoly321 Mon 24-Aug-09 08:46:29

Hi, yep, we are tenting it. We don't want to be too far out of Bournemouth - I'd say no more than half hour drive?

McDreamy Mon 24-Aug-09 08:48:19

We've just come back from a weekend at Holmsley - lovely!

Holymoly321 Mon 24-Aug-09 08:50:14

IUsedtoBePEachy - you sound surprised about us tenting it. Are we mad to consider that? As complete novices we are open to all advice! grin

MollieO Mon 24-Aug-09 10:00:30

Based on how cold it was at night in the Forest of Dean this weekend you need to be pretty hardy to camp in October imo. Assume you have warm sleeping bags, heater etc.

McDreamy Mon 24-Aug-09 10:17:32

Would agree with Mollie, although the weather was warm this weekend was quite chilly at night. Don't think we'll be camping in Oct!

Starbear Mon 24-Aug-09 10:22:27

Oh! Plan to got to Bournemouth next year. Will watch this with great interest.

IUsedToBePeachy Mon 24-Aug-09 12:00:11

I tend to agree with MollieO; unless you ahve definite late-season kit of course, or are just ahrdened campers. My concern would be that you'd be put off by an experience that is possibly for the more dedicated?

There are ways of insulating tents though so at the very least use them- layers of blankets under bedding, hats and layers at night, etc. And ensure your site has the option of somewhere to eat and go in the evenings- it's one thing roughing it on a basic site in August with a jacket over your teeshirt, quite another when it is raining in October.

It is doable but make sure you do it properly is all. Starting with your sleeping bags- basic 2 seasons will not cut it.

Starbear Mon 24-Aug-09 12:16:31

rain and wind in August in N. Devon meant we had to throw away chicken that just wouldn't cook in the wind and rain. We got fish & chips then went down the pub for 2 hours before bedtime. Take the advice above

Holymoly321 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:27:49

Hmm.. maybe we will just have to wait until next year. When is the earliest we should consider?

IUsedToBePeachy Mon 24-Aug-09 15:32:30

Depends on age of kids

Under 2 I would say Whitsun unless we get a warm snap (ajnd if we do you should easily be able to book and go)- over 2 I wuld say May Day (we've been in April and it was OK but definitely warm hats and all the rest)

Holymoly321 Tue 25-Aug-09 08:40:46

thanks IU - when is whitsun? DC1 will is four and DC2 will be 2 in Nov.

Millimat Wed 26-Aug-09 14:04:00

We went away with young Dc at easter last year and it was fine. Whit is the end of may.

Just come back from Lytton Lawn which is a quiet, clean site on the east of bournemouth. It had a small childrens play area, but your site fee includes use of their other site 2 miles away which has swimming pool, crazy golf, bars etc. so could be a retreat if it is very cold. This is the link www.shorefield.co.uk

Holymoly321 Wed 26-Aug-09 14:15:56

Thanks Millimat - will check that out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now