Talk

Advanced search

Imagine it's your first camping trip. What would you cook?

(20 Posts)
nkf Fri 21-Aug-09 15:09:23

I'm buying a single ring camp stove and will take some disposable bbqs.

I figure mini boxes of cereals and jam sandwiches for breakfast. Not healthy I know.

Lunch - eat out.

Dinner - sausages or burgers on the bbqs. Night one.

Then what? What can I make in a pan on the stove? I've bought a kettle (must have a cuppa. Also, do I need a camping frying pan? Or can I just take one from home?

All help gratefully received.

millenniumfalcon Fri 21-Aug-09 15:33:03

i cook sauces in advance (bolognese, curry etc.) and freeze them. depending on how much frozen stuff i take (freeze juice, milk etc. too) it keeps in a coolbag up to 3 nights (without having to faff about changing iceblocks). it's easy enough to heat up the sauce and cook rice/pasta to go with on a single burner.

have done proper cooking in the past peeling veges etc. and tbh i can't be bothered when i'm camping.

also make sure you take cake - ideal camping breakfast/snack food imho.

nkf Fri 21-Aug-09 15:41:43

Thank you. Sounds good.

nkf Fri 21-Aug-09 15:56:58

Any other suggestions?

OhBling Fri 21-Aug-09 16:22:49

Any reason you can't do sausages and burgers on the bbq every night? Always popular and certainly easy? Or any other meat on the bbq. Or vegetable kebabs on the bbq are also nice and very easy.

Other option is to take things like chorizo rings with some beans etc and just bung them in the pot and let them cook for a bit then eat them.

nkf Sat 22-Aug-09 15:12:01

Oooh. Chorizo and beans. I like the sound of that. Easy one pot. I suppose I could bbq every day. I just wondered if there were alternatives.

sherby Sat 22-Aug-09 15:30:27

Chop some potatoes up into slices and fry with burgers/sausages

Decent noodles?

Boiled eggs and soldiers for breakfast/lunch>?

Tesco do a packet mushroom risotto which is just add water and heat which is quite nice

Starbear Sat 22-Aug-09 16:36:30

millenniumfalcon Fab idea. I didn't go camping with the boys for the first five days as I always try and cook as if I'm at home.
Tips I have gleaned from too tired to cook boys looking after kids.
BBQ Veg on sticks with BBQ meat
Pasta sauces from jars with cooked sausages & red papers cuts into small pieces
Roast Chicken from a takeaway or supermarket with salad and boiled pots.
Chlli con carne but without chill for the kids apparently went down well. Think this needed all the boys to get involved so maybe not the best (frozen would work as per millenn)
noodles always good idea add stock cube and peas for us.
Fish & chips when the weather stopped us cooking.
Golden rice in packet with burgers & broccoli
I'm keeping an eye on this thread a I always want to over do it!

nkf Sat 22-Aug-09 18:43:10

Brilliant ideas. Thank you.

slayerette Sat 22-Aug-09 18:50:55

I can't do a one-pot meal but my camping staple is savoury rice (express rice with a chopped onion and some mixed veg chucked in with one of those packet cheese sauces stirred in). DS also loves those cans of baked beans and sausages which I serve with loads of bread and butter. Never mind nutrition for a couple of days - fill 'em up with simple carbs grin

nkf Sat 22-Aug-09 18:52:02

Okay, Slayerette. Bags of chips on the way home. I can do carbs.

Smithagain Sat 22-Aug-09 20:14:21

Having just had our first camping trip, I can tell you exactly what we cooked! We do have a two-ring camping stove, but most things could be done on one, by heating one thing, then the other, then bunging in one pan to finish off.

The days when we had a hot meal out at lunchtime and sandwiches in the evening were easiest. But cooking outside was also fun!

Day 1: Bolognese (brought from home in cool bag) and pasta.

Day 2: Rice, with a sauce consisting of a tin of tomatoes, tin of mackerel in tomato sauce and chopped onion.

Day 3: Hot meal in Nat. Trust face at lunchtime. Hot dogs, salad and cake at tea time.

Day 4: Fish & chips at lunchtime in cafe, sandwiches and cake at tea time.

Day 5: Cold meat pies from local butchers, with boiled potatoes and veg.

Lots of cake. Lots of custard (instant variety). Hot chocolate before bed.

nkf Sat 22-Aug-09 21:11:52

That's fantastic, Smithagain. Thank you.

sundew Sat 22-Aug-09 21:40:14

We usually do pesto pasta - using fresh pasta for extra speed. I also do tiuna pasta salad - just need a big bowl for mixing - again using fresh pasta or the quick cook stuff.

We have lots of sausage and beans / eggs and bacon / omlette / cheesy beans mainly with bread as I can't be faffed to cook potatoes grin.

serinBrightside Sat 22-Aug-09 22:55:51

You can do 2 pan meals with only one burner, just take one pan off for a bit whilst the other is on, (may require a bit of juggling!).

My kids loved mashed potatoes when they were tiny, so we would do sausages or boil in the bag something in one pan and keep them warm while the potatoes boiled, then put them back on while you mash the potatoes.

Can do chilli and rice and spag bol the same way.

Also you can get those steamer things to fit over your pan to cook extra veggies at the same time.

Mind you the older the kids get the more relaxed I am about food and they seem to live off houmous/carrots/bread/fruit and nutella when we are away now smile

tickfeckingtock Sat 22-Aug-09 23:44:02

Supernoodles and smoked sausage (mathesons, Doesn't have to be refrigerated)

Roast beef and mash, pack of silverside slices heat in gravy, serve with instant mash.

Tomato soup and a pile of bread.

Omlette. Pre chop some peppers and onions at home to save hassle.

Eggy bread.

Pasta with stir in carbonara sauce (or any kind or stir in or pesto.

Tinned Chicken curry and rice, we used tescos tinned chick curry and it was actually rather nice, apparently M&S ones are even better.

Tinned M&S chilli with either rie or baked tattie.

I have a little plug in cooker so I can show off with part cooked bread, pizzas and maybe a full roast wink.

tickfeckingtock Sat 22-Aug-09 23:45:02

Oh DS loves those chocolate filled rolls for breakfast while I am still unconcious, DD makes do with Choc mini rolls.

FantasticMissFox Mon 24-Aug-09 18:14:30

I went camping for 5 weeks in June-I lived on pasta with bought sauce, rice, sausages, fish cakes (supermarket ones which I fried but they might go on the bbq), beans and a lot of potato!!

cockles Tue 25-Aug-09 14:49:26

Imo cooked breakfast (fried egg sandwiches) is essential, I get really jealous if the rest of the campsite is haviing cooked breakfast, and they always are) Gnocchi for dinner (frozen sauce from home). Halved raw cherry tomatoes & olive oil works well as pasta sauce, too.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 14:55:33

I cook chilli, take it with me, cook the rice and heat the chilli, serve with nachos, or spaghetti bolognaise, reheated, with crusty bread.

Or, fresh fish, wrapped in foil, cooked on the bbq, served with salad and new potatoes cooked on the stove.

breakfast, egg sarnies, sausage sarnies, bacon sarnies. ready brek. cereal on the odd day.

Lunch - cheese and biscuits, sandwiches, leftovers from night before, plus fruit.

If I have a decent bbq with me, or the opportunity for a camp fire, we cook a casserole of some kind with chicken thighs, chopped vegetables and tinned tomatoes, stock. leave it for a couple of hours while chilling/drinking wine/clearing up/setting table. Serve with crusty bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now