Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a comact / foldable BBQ to take camping?

(29 Posts)
bigTillyMint Tue 18-Aug-09 17:20:02

I have just found this - has anyone got one? Is it any good?

Any other recommendations?

duckyfuzz Tue 18-Aug-09 17:32:16

we have one of these which doubles as our cooker, its a grill rather than a bbq but we do also use it at home to bbq

millenniumfalcon Tue 18-Aug-09 18:03:40

my reservation about the foldy one is that you can't adjust the height of the grill above the coals, which is usually pretty important ime. i've heard someone say it's a good fire pit but not so good as a bbq.

after looking around a bit i decided if i wanted a bbq i'd get one of these but they're pretty bulky and i'm perfectly capable of burning sausages in a frying pan, which doesn't take an hour to heat up

bigTillyMint Tue 18-Aug-09 18:27:55

Wow - both of those look great, but space is at a premium when we go camping - I need something that doesn't take up much space in the boot!

blush Whats a fire pit? blush

millenniumfalcon Tue 18-Aug-09 18:40:05

for making a fire raised off the ground.

bigTillyMint Tue 18-Aug-09 18:47:48

OK - so only good for keeping you warm?

Goober Tue 18-Aug-09 20:31:37

Disposable BBQ or Bucket BBQ.

NikkiH Thu 20-Aug-09 11:58:20

We've got the CampingGaz party grill which worked great for us - didn't take up much room and we could take the grill plate off to use it as an extra burner. Doesn't give a BBQ taste that you get with charcoal though.

kiwibella Thu 20-Aug-09 16:11:22

we also have the grill http://www.campingaz.com/p-23123-party-grill174-carry-bag.aspx and it suits us nicely. We often use it at home too cos we don't have a bbq grin. I love the look of the kitchen tho!!

kiwibella Thu 20-Aug-09 16:12:08

oops, messed that up

party grill

bigTillyMint Thu 20-Aug-09 17:00:48

The party grill looks good, but I want a charcoal bbq! (We have a gas barbie - DH brought up in NZ - at home and the food doesn't taste bbq'd!

kiwibella Thu 20-Aug-09 19:23:34

funny... I'm a kiwi kid too and found it strange coming here where charcoal was the norm!!! We've used gas for as long as I can remember grin.

EccentricaUsesTheDMForBogRoll Thu 20-Aug-09 19:26:40

I bought one of the foldy ones in waitrose jsut last week. specifcally to take camping and fit in the boot.
it is good. quite sturdy and worked a treat with a trial run in the garden.

bigTillyMint Fri 21-Aug-09 08:28:25

Oooh, was it the same foldy one that I linked to, or a similar (but cheaperwink) one?

ZoeLC Fri 21-Aug-09 09:46:09

I have the notebook one too - it's fine for camping and folds flat so slides in under everything in the boot!

We got ours at the eden project for £20

millenniumfalcon Fri 21-Aug-09 13:08:16

ooh i'd be interested to hear from someone who's used one how cookability on the notebook one compares to e.g. a standard disposable bbq. i know some people swear by disposables but i can't manage to cook anything with any degree of control on them and i figured that was down to the lack of height adjustability. the notebooks do look like a great solution packing-wise but i'd only ever read poor reviews for them cooking-wise.

troutpout Fri 21-Aug-09 15:04:54

We've got one of those bucket barbeque things
like so
It's only little
Does the job

EccentricaBirthdayGallumbits Fri 21-Aug-09 18:30:52

I can't cook anyway so doesn't make much difference.

millenniumfalcon Fri 21-Aug-09 19:58:09

lol

sundew Sat 22-Aug-09 21:34:57

We bought a cadac gas BBQ - after many trips where it rained so much it put out a normal BBQ!! It was fantastic - www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/Cadac_Barbecues.html and meant I actually cooked proper meals - not just beans on toast all week!

scotlass Mon 24-Aug-09 22:45:43

Hi, we've got the notebook fold out bbq and have used it lots with excellent results thanks to bbq chef DH. In fact we have used it at home in the garden as gas has ran out on our proper bbq and we haven't got our act together to get more.

We have a small camper van sospace is really at a premium and this stows behind the drivers seat. We buy the charcoals you leave in the bag. DH has no complaints and has said its much better than the disposable one. I'd recommend it smile

MollieO Thu 27-Aug-09 15:18:09

I've just ordered this.

There is more info on it here.

Certainly the most compact bbq I've found. smile

millenniumfalcon Thu 27-Aug-09 18:39:55

very neat did you get the fire bowl too? most of the sites we've been to recently don't allow fires so we'd need one of those too. presumably you'd still need a slab to stand it on, can't imagine it's very high off the ground.

ta for review scotlass, might consider the notebook one if i can get a good deal over the winter.

MollieO Thu 27-Aug-09 18:56:40

Yes I got both. The fire bowl has feet apparently so it is raised off the ground. Certainly the most compact bbq I've seen. I have the notebook too - it is quite thin folded up but actually quite a large surface area so takes up valuable space in my very small boot.

littlebellsmum Mon 31-Aug-09 23:39:01

MollieO - please report back on your new toy - it looks great and I'd love to know if it works!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now