Talk

Advanced search

Camping in fields and directions/OS

(7 Posts)
TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 17-Aug-09 11:15:48

If you were camping somewhere and needed an ambulance or air ambulance how would you go about getting the map ref thingy? And would the ambulance service understand it?

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 11:19:22

if you have satnav it will tell you your GPS coordinates

or use the National Grid from an OS map - good guide here

is it inaccessible by road? are you likely to need either?

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 17-Aug-09 11:34:49

I don't have satnav. I want to take dd to hesfes next year. Its at the Hop Farm in Kent but they have loads of different fields and tracks to get to them. So if she had a seizure, middle of night I would need to be able to tell an ambulance where we were given there's no lights or signs!

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 11:55:12

hmm, tricky

I would be tempted to see if I could arrange in advance to camp somewhere accessible on the site, maybe near main entrance or to a landmark.
Actually I mighh even be tempted to consult the ambulance service on the best way to handle it - you might find they (eg) can only take the vehicle as far as the main entrance anyway and would be running across the site with their bags...

troutpout Mon 17-Aug-09 12:58:20

Tricky one R
I'm guessing it would have to be a combination of mobile phones (assuming you have signal !..there was none where we went the other week)...and directions.Then maybe flash lights ..hang a flashing light outside your tent maybe?

branflake81 Mon 17-Aug-09 15:41:24

Look on the OS map and give the grid reference. If you don't know how to do it google it or look at the key of the map and it will explain how it's done. You don't need a sat nav! And yes, all ambulance etc should understand it.

Bumpinthenight Mon 17-Aug-09 16:15:04

The ambulance service would understand grid references. There is also a 2 letter "code" on top of all OS maps to determine which area you are in automatically.

A four figure grid reference would pinpoint you to a 1km square area.

A six figure grid reference would get you to a 100km square radius so the ambulance service would get to the field rather than your tent.

TBH the first response paramedics would probably need to be met at the entrance so they can find you easily so take a runner/ wake up next door campers. They would bring spinal boards etc to you and carry DD back to the road for the vehicle to pick her up. Or carry her to a helicopter.

This is what happens when we take YPs out on D of E.

Ask the Farm for their grid reference in advance so you have it to hand should you require the emergency services.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now