Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Music Festival...family field??

(19 Posts)
Insanity Sat 15-Aug-09 17:55:47

We are considering taking the children to their first music festival next weekend and I have read on the website that there is a family field.

Do you think this field is for like minded people who wont be drinking to the wee hours of the morning or will it be just as noisy as any other field?

Has anyone been to a music festival with the kids and how was it? Mine are 7 and 8.

purplesal Sat 15-Aug-09 17:59:58

We do Glastonbury every year. Definitley try and get in the family field if possible - much quieter, more friendly, less drugs.

Insanity Sat 15-Aug-09 18:02:05

oh drugs.....forgot about that side of festivals, its been a while, I just had visions of lots of drunken people falling around lol!

preciouslillywhite Sat 15-Aug-09 18:04:35

Ive taken mine to the Big Chill a few times and I reckon you're always best off in the family field...people (alright, meblush) do stay up boozing but it tends to be a bit more sedate than in the other fields by all accounts. Also when your dcs get up at crack of dawn everyone else's kids are as well so you don't get Kid Shame...

Bet you'll all have a fantastic time- specially since your kids are big-ish. Have fun!

arseaboutit Sun 16-Aug-09 00:00:28

some festivals do have quiet fields/ family fields which are nothing of the sort and anyone can pitch up, other festivals they work a lot better.

Insanity Sun 16-Aug-09 11:42:38

Well we were thinking of the Tribfest near Hull, which is supposed to be family friendly, quite small, and won festival awards for best kept toilets grin

Anyone been to it?

Although after the torrential wind and rain we've had this weekend I am still deeply considering it...

Sazisi Sun 16-Aug-09 11:55:35

We went to Electric Picnic last year; the family field was lovely and chilled, people without family field wristbands weren't allowed in it.
We all had a great time and are going again this year

angrypixie Sun 16-Aug-09 12:37:38

Im off to 80s rewind next weekend with dd and have opted for family field, mostly as plw said for the crack of dawn start.

Insanity Sun 16-Aug-09 16:53:03

I am so jealous angrypixie 80s rewind envy

Wish I lived closer to London, the line up looks fantastic!

angrypixie Sun 16-Aug-09 17:57:04

Looks cheesy doesn't it grin and my dd is only 6 so not old enough to know it's naff yet. I am a festival-with-child virgin but this one looks like a relatively easy one to take the plunge.

Insanity Sun 16-Aug-09 18:11:42

I love cheese grin

If our first festival experience is fun then I will be saving for tickets for rewind 80's 2010!!

Are you taking your own tent or did you get the glamping package (which looked quite cheap and a really good idea)

cockles Sun 16-Aug-09 18:17:16

Definitely family field, plus they sometimes have better toilets and the kids will all be up early and can play together.

cupofteaplease Sun 16-Aug-09 18:26:43

I want to go to Rewind!envy

angrypixie Sun 16-Aug-09 18:55:48

Insanity not only did I opt for glamping but have bought a wristband for the comfy crappers too grin

cupoftea there may still be tickets!

cupofteaplease Sun 16-Aug-09 19:02:05

Yes there are tickets available, and some on Ebay too, but funds are low and dh is working until 10pm on the Friday and starts again at 4am on Monday so I would have to go alone with the dds who are 4 and 2- a little too ambitious for me!

But, you have SO done the right thing with the comfy crappers- they had similar loos to these at Camp Bestival a few weeks ago and they were the highlight of our festival!

Have fun!

angrypixie Sun 16-Aug-09 20:14:32

I really wanted to do Camp B but was away on holiday. Did you take your dc to that? I have 3 dc 6,4,18 months and am just testing the water with dd at rewind.

raindroprhyme Sun 16-Aug-09 21:22:50

def family field. much more chilled and everyones kids amuse each other.

we have just found out we are entitled to use the disabled camping at the wickerman which we go to every year, will be very useful with 5 month old baby next year.
am hoping it will be family camping with higher toilet to people ratio!!!

cupofteaplease Sun 16-Aug-09 21:49:26

angrypixie Yes we took the dc to Camp B- they were in their element! We are preparing to book again for next year.

prue0805 Thu 10-Sep-09 10:38:59

Croissant Neuf summer party in Usk(www.partyneuf.co.uk)is very small very green and exceptionally family friendly. No need for a family field as parents are pretty much in the majority-apart from music, there is a chance to make a lantern and take part in the fire procession up into the woods, a treasure hunt,sports including parachute games, a pub quiz...and the word is that the Beat- who were there this year and fantastic- will be back... there are only a few hundred people onsite not thousands so you get up close to whatever is on.Fantastic loos too. Mine never ran out of loo paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now