Talk

Advanced search

gazebo/shelter/awning....is there one that is good for shade and shelter from rain?

(15 Posts)
hazeyjane Tue 11-Aug-09 17:19:34

Camping this weekend and think we might need both!

smile

hazeyjane Tue 11-Aug-09 19:20:39

any ideas, please!

Goober Tue 11-Aug-09 19:22:00

What tent do you have? Some tents can have an added canopy.

hazeyjane Tue 11-Aug-09 19:36:59

a vango verona, which none of the vango extensions fit (probably why they are so cheap!).

I'm not sure whether you can mix and match extensions and tents.

Something seperate to the tent might be better any way, because then we can use it in our garden too (we have no shade in the garden)

Slubberdegullion Tue 11-Aug-09 19:42:40

Outwell and Khyam do good day tents (well good reviews on ukcs) so you might want to do a search over there. Day tents are much sturdier that gazebos and obviously come with sides too, so a bit more useful in horizontal rain conditions.

millenniumfalcon Tue 11-Aug-09 19:45:51

i wouldn't take a standard garden gazebo, they blow away alarmingly easily, causing havoc with any tents in their way. a lot of sites seem to charge extra for gazebos too. i think a tarp is generally viewed as a better solution (that you take down when you're not there).

look vango do a kit, i bet oyu could buy the individual bits cheaper at a big camping shop.

Goober Tue 11-Aug-09 19:46:03

I always think These are a good idea.
Would that work?

Slubberdegullion Tue 11-Aug-09 20:11:25

Not sure Goober. I'm not a big fan of the old plastic branded windbreak (notoriously blow over-ish) but again I've read a few good reviews for that one on ukcs.

Personally I would go either with a proper day room (you may get charged extra) or the tarp and stripey(wooden pole) windbreak combo.

I had my tarp up in the garden today as a sunshade, so easy to put up and you can change the angles of it really easily depending on where the rain (or sun) is coming in from.

hazeyjane Tue 11-Aug-09 20:27:30

I like the idea of the tarp.

What sot of tarp do you have slubber?

We thought we might buy a windbreak tomorrow because they are half price in Millets at the mo, so combining this with a tarp might be a good solution.

<BTW thankyou!>

janinlondon Wed 12-Aug-09 09:50:37

We just bought one of these for this year's trips - but haven't tried it out yet!

Slubberdegullion Wed 12-Aug-09 09:59:24

jane, I have this Tatonka Tarp. A lovely bit of kit imo. It rolls up really small into a little fabric bag that you can squish down anywhere in the roofbox or car (so I don't have to justify its existence on space issues).

I use poles from an Aldi tarp that I bought last year (by accident) that is just way, way too big (and a bit crappy). Tatonka sells poles but they are pricey imo. Most good camping stores will sell you poles and if you are near a Decathalon store I believe they do them as well.

Milliways Wed 12-Aug-09 16:48:43

We have a Khyam Hex-Poly, which is fab but costs more than most tents, and we only got it as we camp with large groups. It has a 3000HH and it is totally stormproof as was one of the last things standing one dreadful bank holiday!

When it is sunny you can open up all sides as porches to make a huge sunshelter.

We like the flexibility of 6 opening sides so can always have it shut against the wind and open on other side.

7in1971 Sat 15-Aug-09 14:10:06

We use the Khyam Day Shelter which is the same size as most gazebos but a whole lot safer and waterproof! If you think that is a bit big then I'd go for the Outdoor revolution double outhouse (XL) - a big favourite for loads of people on UKCS. FOr quick trips I'm going to try one of those windbreaks with a roof thingies.

nikkid21 Sat 15-Aug-09 17:02:59

We have a wynnster leisure shelter that we got for around £75. here

It does the trick and it great with the sides on. We used to keep our chairs and cokking equipment in it. Don't use it now really because our new tent has a built in awning and we have the extension to add onto that.

Goober Sat 15-Aug-09 21:51:25

Exactly how large is your COKKING EQUIPMENT?*
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now