Talk

Advanced search

"wild" (or at least not somewhere with shops!) camping in Lake District please?

(7 Posts)
lingle Tue 11-Aug-09 10:32:29

DH and I used to trek around Europe, tents on backs, pitch tent when it got dark - you get the idea.

We haven't camped since having the kids (6 adn 3) but would like to try something in the Lakes (we are in Yorkshire Dales so can always turn around if there's a hurricane etc!) midweek in August.

Can anyone recommend anything? Really we would like the children to experience sleeping away from other people and we would like to be reasonably near a nice Lake. But we are not complete snobs - we are happy to be with other people on a farm, say. And we would drive over there rather than attempting the torturous public transport option. I suppose we want something of the flavour of the old days rather than a big "site" with hundreds of other tents.

Any guidance or recommendations would be much appreciated. To our shame, we don't know the Lakes at all (drove over to Windermere one bank holiday August weekend 7 years ago and were so horrified by the crowds we turned straight back to Yorkshire).

prettyponies Tue 11-Aug-09 17:53:28

Turner hall Farm in the Duddon valley - google it - not that near a lake, but a short walk from a river with bathing pools.

small site with loades of rocky outcrops for scrambling.

lingle Tue 11-Aug-09 18:21:15

thank you prettyponies

EssieW Tue 11-Aug-09 18:45:23

Loughrigg Tarn campsite if you can cope with basic. It's a field with a toilet and sink - but not crowded.
If you're going for a week, then nice options in Eskdale. Fisherground campsite does get busy but I think there's one further up the valley which is quieter.

Also Duddon as mentioned above would be a get away from it all.

lingle Tue 11-Aug-09 19:29:32

thank you very much EssieW.

BetsyBoop Tue 11-Aug-09 19:55:22

Grizedale is another good one - if you have a small tent & can be bothered to cart your gear, you can go off into the woods

BetsyBoop Tue 11-Aug-09 19:58:27

this give you a feel of the place & you can check out reviews of the other sites mentioned here too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now