Talk

Advanced search

Please help me choose a tent!

(15 Posts)
LittleFriendSusan Tue 04-Aug-09 11:47:43

Posted the other day but no replies ()

Anyway... our plans have changed a bit now and I need some suggestions!

We go camping to Cornwall for a week on Saturday and have no tent due to the Wales fiasco. Really not the best time to be buying a tent as no doubt they will all come down in price / appear on Ebay in the next month or so.

So now we are thinking maybe we should hold out for our "big" tent and just get something which will do us for next week, and then to be used for festivals / weekends etc next year. If I could pitch it alone / with help from tallish 6y old DD that would be a bonus, as plan on doing a few midweek trips with friend and her DD when partners at work.

Been put off small tents as we seem to have so much stuff but have decided to buy utility tent so all kitchen bits out of the way. Would still like a decent living area so we can eat inside in the (very likely) event of bad weather.

Not keen on dark tents - hence being drawn to the Outwells - I like a lot of natural light! Not seen many Khyams in the flesh but they look a bit dark on pics?

Bedrooms - would like min 2 or one with divider. One needs to fit 2 x junior Readybeds, the other a double Coleman comfort airbed.

Add-ons a bonus: ie. extension / canopy / carpet! Some sort of storage pockets?

DP likes lots of doors! So need at least 2.

HH at least 3000.

Budget ideally less than £300 as we still plan on buying big tent later in year! Though can stretch a bit if it's a real bargain!

Don't want much do I? grin

Ideas anyone? Thanks!!

fatzak Tue 04-Aug-09 12:06:28

There seem to be some good deals at go outdoors

Maybe something like the Vango Icarus (if you have a store near by as they are sold out online?

LittleFriendSusan Tue 04-Aug-09 12:10:04

Thanks

We looked at the Icarus a while back actually, but I think it's just the one bedroom (no divider sheet) and we would prefer separate rooms (even if it's just a sheet between us!)

MollieO Tue 04-Aug-09 13:38:42

What about a Coleman Riverside 6 although it only has a HH of 2000.

Slubberdegullion Tue 04-Aug-09 13:46:08

As for the utility tent, the Outdoor revolution Utility Tents are fab.

I have the grey XL which was fine but a bit too noisy and plasticy for my taste, so this year I had a small splurge on the cotton XL. Much heavier (although the pack is not much bigger) as it comes with steel poles. Brilliant. Best bit of camping kit we have.

Coleman, as Mollie says are doing some nice family w/e tents atm. 2000HH should be OK.

LittleFriendSusan Tue 04-Aug-09 14:45:27

Thanks MollieO / Slubber

'Twas the Outdoor Revolution utility tents I had my eye on - local caravan place doing the grey XL for £35 (think it's the XL anyway - they call it the double outhouse), or have seen the cotton one for about £55 - I reckon for the sake of £20 I should get the cotton one!

Re. the HH, the one we have just destroyed was 2000HH and TBH didn't fare too well in torrential downpours! And we always seem to time our camping trips for stormy weather so daren't risk it!

With the Coleman - other than the HH, I'm not sure the kids beds would fit in? Unless they had the 4 berth to themselves and we had the 2-berth - but selfishly I'm not too keen on that idea!

Am quite drawn to the Vango Tigris - though hardly a small or a weekend tent lol. Still same thing with the bedrooms though!

cockles Tue 04-Aug-09 15:09:27

Vango tigris 400 has a dividing curtain in the bedroom, and is 3000 pph. I need help to put the poles in though but a six year old might be enough. we love it anyway.

cockles Tue 04-Aug-09 15:11:01

ps can fit two single airics in one side, if that helps!

LittleFriendSusan Tue 04-Aug-09 15:34:17

Yes, I think it does Cockles

Spotted the 800 + tunnel extension on UKcampsite - looks very nice!

Someone on there has suggested the Outwell Dakota - anyone got one of those?

Or the Khyam Ontario?

Louby3000 Wed 05-Aug-09 21:07:55

I have the Coleman Modular X7. It has 2 bedrooms, one which zips on/off as you require and is in a seperate tent bag. It has a massive living space, lots of pockets, awning..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Modulus-X7-Man-Tent/dp/B000YEMNUM.
I love love love it. Me, DH and baby sleep in one wing and mates stay in the other. It is 6000HH.

millenniumfalcon Wed 05-Aug-09 21:30:39

not sure if this is too late, and it would max your budget (unless you can find a deal on an older model/second hand): khyam chatsworth (or search for xl which is what it used to be, which doesn't have sig but personally i prefer grass in the living area).

scores on just about all your requirements: pitch alone, not a "small" tent (standing room throughout living area unless you're verrry tall and has steel frame so reassuringly solid), not dark (windows on 3 sides, enormous one on the front), single bedroom divides into 2, awning... only thing is you have to buy pockets as an extra hmm

we love ours, it's our weekend-short week-festival tent (2 adults, 6yo+2yo), it really does feel sturdy (it was fine while others were literally blowing away earlier this year) and goes up/comes down a dream - packing it away in a gale was a piece of cake compared to the fuss our neighbours with a tunnel tent were making i'd expect it to last us for that purpose for a good few years to come.

pack is bulky/awkward though cos poles/canvas in together, and because it's steel poles it's not a lightweight either.

Washersaurus Wed 05-Aug-09 21:41:00

I'm currently in love with Kampa tents (I don't yet own one though) - so am going to suggest the Lulworth 6

LittleFriendSusan Thu 06-Aug-09 23:05:26

Well the hunt is still on, but not quite so urgent now! SIL has kindly offered to lend us her tent for Cornwall, though far from ideal it has given us a bit more time! It's a Vango Diablo 600 and may only just fit on the pitch... but called the site and they said we should be ok, just may have to leave the car in the holding bay if it won't fit on as well. Gulp. Am still panicking a little as we have also never put up a tent like that hmm.

Spotted a 2nd-hand Outwell Indiana 8 + canopy for just over £200 yesterday (well, MIL did, they're all on the lookout for us now!!) - I was up for buying it, but DP not keen as no SIG and "too blue". Couldn't care less what colour it is (within reason!) as long as it keeps me dry, but hey ho. This colour thing is beginning to grate on me a little (so far, no brown, no blue. Rules out a lot of tents there...)

Louby - DP was very keen on the Coleman Evolva which I guess is a similar kind of thing. Couldn't find one in stock at a good price though so didn't buy in the end. Actually after saying that, I just googled the Modulus - nice tent , I think we did look at that one too, thinking about it, but would like to see one in the flesh so to speak. The porch bit looks a bit strange on the photo I saw, but probably just taken from a funny angle!

My friend was camping last week and said there were quite a few Colemans on their site; she was quite taken with them!

Milleniumfalcon - I was actually watching the Chatsworth & Annexe on Ebay - I think the Ridgidome type tents look ideal (and as you say, quick and easy to pitch), but I have yet to convince DP... am hoping we get to see one pitched at some point as again am only going on website photos. Glad to hear you like yours

Washersaurus - I too am v. impressed with the Kampa tents, though have yet to see one pitched! Have you seen one "for real"? I know they sell them at a place the other side of Leeds so I may have to drag DP that way August BH weekend lol (we are staying with friends in Leeds that Saturday wink).

millenniumfalcon Fri 07-Aug-09 08:40:58

blue is the best colour for a tent, i've always gone for blue

3rdnparty Fri 07-Aug-09 13:17:07

how about this coleman? its not blue!

www.marshallleisure.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=31_251_255

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now