Talk

Advanced search

Surely there's a MN essential camping cooking thread somewhere?

(10 Posts)
MagNacarta Mon 03-Aug-09 14:00:48

We're off on Friday for two weeks, I was hoping to find some inspiration.

JiminyCricket Mon 03-Aug-09 14:03:34

tinned macaroni cheese

CountessDracula Mon 03-Aug-09 14:11:56

chorizo and cabanos great for breakfast and doesn't need to be kept cold

ShauntheSheep Mon 03-Aug-09 14:59:55

Mince'n'totties'n'veg all in one saucepan.
spaj bol done in one saucepan
Sausages beans and bread

Will ahv a think nad come back with more

sundew Mon 03-Aug-09 15:04:18

will watch this thread with interest as always end up making either tuna pasta salad or sausages and beans.

MrsBadger Mon 03-Aug-09 15:12:54

we have lots of breakfasts as suppers iyswim - bacon, pancakes (use those shake-a-cake bottles of dry mix), scrambled eggs etc

ShauntheSheep Mon 03-Aug-09 15:22:51

We also do Pork/Steak/other fried meat and fried potatoes with salad.
Ham eggs and fried pots is good too

Put pots on to boil after cooking breakfast in teh morning is my tip but then we do all our cooking on one ring.

fatsatsuma Mon 03-Aug-09 15:34:27

Stir fries are popular with us, and you can use pre-cooked noodles/rice if necessary.

Couscous also good, add veg/chicken/salmon etc.

I do an occasional risotto, with onion, pepper or other veg, bacon or frankfurters. You can get pre-cooked risotto rice too.

My dc's like pasta with anything - pesto, tomato sauce, jar of antipasti veg. etc. Grate lots of cheese over the top to make it a bit less boring...

Grate carrots and courgettes into ribbons with a potato peeler and add vinaigrette (Pizza Express one v nice) for an instant salad. Plus, carrots and courgettes keep better than usual salad veg.

Am not very good at puddings tho' so will watch this with interest.

MagNacarta Mon 03-Aug-09 16:16:45

Have a ton of bolognaise sauce in the freezer, so plan to bring it with us still frozen and eat it on the second night. Finger crossed I don't give everyone food poisoning.

I also spotten the MN camping tips and the suggestion to buy M&S tinned curry, so will get some this week. We've had it before at home and it's rather nice. DH also recently bought tinned potatoes as he remembered having them as a child and they weren't too bad, so will get some of those too.

Pasta, as suggested is a camping staple for us, so will get a jar or two of sauce and some pesto.

We tend to do wraps/sandwhichs or be out for lunch.

Never attempted to do puds though - dc's groan when I say pudding is fruit every day.

I'm thinking about bringing our steamer this time, one of those ones that has three layers. We cook on a two ring gas thingy and have a very basic bbq. Luckily there's an M&S food and a Waitrose nearby, so should have lots of lovely food choices.

Am getting quite excited grin.

melrose Tue 04-Aug-09 13:53:44

BBQ - if you can buy meat locally, boil pots, bbq veg - courgettes and big mushrooms v good. Only drawback is tendancy of DCs to live on sausages for a week

Filled fresh pasta is good as only take 2 min to boil and v filling

Pasta and pesto

tinned soup - nice chunky one, heinz bacon and bean v good

watching with interest though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now